Accessing other branches with TRef

Hi all,

I having some trouble understanding TRef’s. I have a TTree where I loop over the events and try to apply some cuts on. The tree has branches with subbranches containing the actual information eg. branch Electron has a subbranch Electron.Phi that contains the phi values of the electrons in that specific event. I access the values with a TTreeReader and a TTreeReaderArray for each subbranch I need to apply a cut to.

However, one of the subbranches has as datatype TRef which, as I understand it, should point to a different object in the tree. Because of the problem background I know that the reference should be too a different branch called Particle which contains information on truth level of the objects in the other branches.

Here is an example snippet of how I go about it.

TTree *tree = nullptr;
_file0->GetObject("Delphes",tree);

TTreeReader reader(tree);

TTreeReaderArray<TRef> Electron_Ref(reader, "Electron.Particle");
TTreeReaderArray<Int_t>; Particle_PID(reader, "Particle.PID");
TTreeReaderArray<Int_t> Particle_Status(reader, "Particle.Status");
TTreeReaderArray<Int_t> Particle_M1(reader, "Particle.M1");

while (reader.Next()){

// Get the TRef object.
TRef refObj = Electron_Ref[0];

// Get the pointer of the object the TRef object is referencing to.
TObject * pObj = refObj.GetObject();

// Use this pointer to get the values from subbranches defined above.

}

Could someone help me? Please let me know if any of the above is unclear. Any advice would be very helpful!

Cheers

_ROOT Version: 6.14/06
_Platform: macOS
_Compiler: ROOT macro

Hi,

Could you explain what doesn’t work? Is pObj null? Or do you see a crash - if so, what’s the backtrace / output?

Cheers, Axel.

Yes, pObj is a null in this format.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.