A shared library error that I don't understand

Hello, I’ve installed ROOT before on other machines (Linux boxes) and on a few Macs. So I’m not a total blank slate when it comes to installing and compiling ROOT, but recently I’ve had some problems.

On a new Linux box, I installed SLC4. I then installed ROOT from subversion to get the latest build (about three days ago).

I have some other code that has compiled fine in the past on other machines with ROOT (version 5 or greater), but when I attempt to compile it on this machine I get the following error:

~/root/bin/rootcint: error while loading shared libraries: libCint.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This was a little alarming, since when I compiled ROOT from source, it ran perfectly. I edited my bashrc file to export the paths to use ROOT and such, and I am able to open it from a terminal anywhere, so ROOT is working fine.

I am even attempting to compile as superuser, so I should haven’t any permission errors. As a last ditch effort, I even did an svn update to see if any patches had been released in the last couple days in case this was a problem with the root I had obtained.

But I still have this error… any help? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony Kelly
High Energy Physics
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

What is the output of

ldd $ROOTSYS/bin/rootcint Could you check that your root.exe and rootcint executable point to what you declared
in your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

Rene

[quote=“brun”]What is the output of

ldd $ROOTSYS/bin/rootcint Could you check that your root.exe and rootcint executable point to what you declared
in your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

Rene[/quote]

Hmm… fair enough. The output of that command (at leas the part we care about) is:

libCint.so => not found

Was this a problem arising from the ./configure step or the compilation step? Nothing crashed when I installed root and tried to run it.

And if I go list my files inside $ROOTSYS/lib , I see that the file does exist…

As for what I added to the .bashrc file:

export ROOTSYS=/home/LeCroyUser/root <—this is where I installed root from subversion
export PATH=$PATH:$ROOTSYS/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ROOTSYS/lib

Ah, my solution was a tad silly and an oversight on my part.

I edited the .bashrc file for the user I was logged into as, but I failed to do it for the superuser, who I am using to compile the code. The fix was to also include the export statements in the bashrc file for the super user.

Thanks!

Tony