3D Viewer : *.stl/*.tring file

Hi,
I am trying to develop a complete STL file Viewer which use PyROOT and OpenGL.

After some researchs i found the triangleset tutorial : TEveTriangleSet Tutorial.
I tried to adapt it with python code (still using the same file as the tutorial : “broken_torus.tring”) but the viewer do not display.
Here is a MWE of my code :

import ROOT
import time

eveManager = ROOT.TEveManager(800,400)
triangleSet = ROOT.TEveTriangleSet.ReadTrivialFile("/usr/share/doc/root/tutorials/eve/broken_torus.tring")
triangleSet.SetName("test")
triangleSet.GenerateTriangleNormals()
triangleSet.GenerateRandomColors()
triangleSet.SetMainColor(0)
eveManager.AddElement(triangleSet)
eveManager.Redraw3D()
while triangleSet:
    time.sleep(1)

Currently, i have two tracks :

• I have to configure correctly the eveManager but i found no information in the root user guide (User guide)
  • The triangleset.c tutorial use a gEve field/instance (available at triangleSetTutorial and gEveLink) and i have no idea how to access it and what it is supposed to be.
  1. Can you help me figure out where i did a mistake ?

2. Is there a better approach or another class, that could be better for my purpose of developping a *.stl/*.tring file viewer ?

Thank you,
Regards,
Johann

I think this needs help from our eve-expert: @matevz - could you have a look?

1 Like

gEve is global instance of TEveManager. Please call static TEveManager::Create() instead of direct constructor invocation.

There is no gEveLink that I know of :slight_smile:

I never used python so I might be wrong … but isn’t your while loop at the bottom hogging the root even loop? TEveManager::Redraw3D() only schedules a redraw, it only happens when the event loop in root resumes.

\m

1 Like

Hi matevz,
Thank you for your answer.
I use both of your remarks and i finally succeed in displaying viewer :sunglasses:
I put the MWE if someone need it :

import ROOT
import time

eveManager = ROOT.TEveManager.Create()
triangleSet = ROOT.TEveTriangleSet.ReadTrivialFile("/usr/share/doc/root/tutorials/eve/broken_torus.tring")
triangleSet.SetName("test")
triangleSet.GenerateTriangleNormals()
triangleSet.GenerateRandomColors()
triangleSet.SetMainColor(0)
eveManager.AddElement(triangleSet)
eveManager.DoRedraw3D()
while triangleSet:
    time.sleep(1)

I just use the static way to create my eveManager and i force the manager to redraw with DoRedraw3D()

Thank you one more time,
Best,
Johann

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.