Navigation back to Partons from a Particle Decay

I have just begun to study jets produced in Higgs decays via simulations: the simulations are a three-level process using MadGraph5 as the framework for parton generation, Pythia for the final state showers and Delphes for the detector simulation. I am getting to grips with the coding and have got as far as being able to compile a tuple for analysis and submit it. In order to begin to study and identify jets I have been informed that I need to consider some particular sample decays which I have in one of my tuples and then navigate back to the originally produced partons from the decay and try to use these to study the generated jets.

Apologies if this is a basic question as this a new field to me, but is there a general way in which I would go back to the original partons by considering a piece of code for a model decay or does it depend on the codes someone is working with? Does it mean that I need to submit a sample and then examine the output and use it to determine something about the original partons? The code for my model decay has a command to try several algorithms for jet reconstruction so am I supposed to be able to run the output and then try and navigate back to the original partons from that?

In studying the jets I need to consider Delta_R: I have looked up the definition of Delta_R as the square root of differences in eta and phi but cannot find anything more specific in the literature.
Could I also clarify what a refers to in particle physics? For example, if we study the Higgs decay to H > a a, I take it that the ‘a’ refers to a light scalar.

Hi,

we are happy to help out about ROOT usage, deployment, integration and development.
The doubts you have seems more related to jet physics and I am sure this is the right forum for those.

Cheers,
D

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.