Unable to import ROOT in Python, getting a long error when trying to open ROOT in terminal (macOS Ventura 13.5.2)

Hello! After trying to uninstall and reinstall ROOT using Brew, and upgrading Brew and trying to uninstall/reinstall ROOT again, upon starting ROOT in my terminal or checking the version using root --version, I get the following error:

ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!
Invoking:
LC_ALL=C clang++ -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 | sed -n -e ‘/^.include/,${’ -e ‘/^ /.*++/p’ -e ‘}’
Results was:
With exit code 0

ROOT is still able to start up after this error is shown, however when I try to import ROOT in Python3, I get the error
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘ROOT’

I suspect these two issues are tied, but I can’t figure out how to fix them, does anyone know what might be the cause?

_ROOT Version: 6.30/02
_Platform: macOS Ventura 13.5.2
_Compiler: Brew

Hi @madisd,
thanks for reaching out!

So, after a quick search on the forum, it lokks like your issue is not new. [Here]{Problem running root on macOS 10.13.6: ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!} the problem was solve by reinstalling ROOT from source instead of using brew.

BTW, can you tell what’s the output of clang++ -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 | sed -n -e ‘/^.include/,${’ -e ‘/^ /.*++/p’ -e ‘}’?

Cheers,
Monica

1 Like