TAxis::SetRange and TH2::Projection

Hello,

When using the function TAxis::SetRange() on a TH2, a projection of this TH2 will include or not over/underflows, depending on the specified ranges, even though they stay within [1,N]
I find that quite confusing.

In the attached example, I have 3 bins on both axes.
If I do SetRange(1,2) on axis X, the projection on Y will not include axis X overflows.
If I do SetRange(1,3) on axis X, then the projection on Y will include overflows.

I think as long as the bin ranges dont include bins 0 or N+1, I should see no under/overflow in the projection.

Can you comment ?
Thanks !!
Renaud
test_TH2D.C (608 Bytes)

Hello Renaud,

I agree with you that when you are setting the range using TAxis::SetRange(1,nbin) you expect the underflow/overflow to be excluded. Unfortunately this is due to a limitation and a confusing behavior of TAxis::SetRange. When you do TAxis::SetRange(1,nbin) the range is reset, it is like not having a range at all.
The workaround is to reset the range bit in the axis. In your case do:

h21->GetXaxis()->SetRange(1,3);
 h21->GetXaxis()->SetBit(TAxis::kAxisRange);

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Dear Lorenzo,

thanks for your answer, but the use of h21->GetXaxis()->SetBit(TAxis::kAxisRange);
screws up completely the histo (at least the display) : the X axis range becomes [-1,0] !!
however the resulting projection is fine.

can you try what you suggest and check if you get the same behaviour?
if yes, how should i deal with that ?
I am using v5.26.00b, will this be solved if I use today’s trunk ??
thanks a lot

renaud

Hi Renaud,

Do you still have the problem with v5.28?

Philippe.

Dear Philippe,

yes the problem still exists, same results:
1/ without setting the bit TAxis::kAxisRange , no axis range is used in the projection.
2/ setting TAxis::kAxisRange, the 1D projection is fine, but the X-axis on the 2D plot becomes [-1,0]

In addition, I now get this message (and only this one) :
Error in TGaxis::PaintAxis: wmin (0.000000) == wmax (0.000000)

I can live with 1/, but 2/ must be fixed imho.
Thanks !
Renaud

Hi,

Yes, setting the axis range bit for 1,Nbin, gives problem in drawing the axis.
The best solution for you is to do pass the first and last bin in the TH2::ProjectionY function. Do:

TH1D* h11 = h21->ProjectionY("h21_py",1,3);

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo
Should we expect this feature to be fixed, or should we live with it ?
thanks
renaud

HI,

I fully agree that this might be fixed at some point, but it requires changing the behavior of the TAxis::SetRange method, which could have side effects and I am a bit hesitant in doing this

Cheers

Lorenzo