Superscript symbol ^ won't appear when using PadEditor and superscript won't work

Hi there,
I am trying to make a superscript 2 x 10^{7} on canvas PadEditor but ^ symbol does not show up and as a consequence superscript won’t work. My Root version is 6.16/00.
Is it a bug or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Luiz

_ROOT Version: 6.16/00
_Platform: Linux Fedora 29
_Compiler: gcc (GCC) 8.3.1 20190223 (Red Hat 8.3.1-2)

You mean from the toolbar displayed when you do show toolbar ?
I see the same. I will check.

I see the same because my keyboard is the “US International” mode.
Is it the same for you ?

I swap from US Int. to US keyboard layout and no luck. When I type 2x10^{-7} in the y-axis label box on PadEditor, the symbol ^ won’t appear, so I can not get the superscript number. I have also changed my whole root 6.16 install unsuccessfully. Still ^ won’t work.

When you type the caret ^ character the caption switches to a LaTeX type math mode (See TLatex). This causes the sequence ^{7} to create a superscript number seven without displaying the caret character. To stop this action and force the caret to display you need to add a backslash before the caret \^.

There is a bug here though, the following sequence does not provide spacing for the caret character and the subsequent character overlaps it.

2 \times 10 \^ 7

You can overcome this by adding a forced space \,, but I feel this should be done automatically.

2 \times 10 \^ \, 7

In addition, as I have used above I would recommend switching to using \times instead of x as it produces a cleaner read.

What is wrong with a superscript seven as opposed to a ^7? It removes a character and produces an output that is more human readable in my opinion.

Finally, while researching this I discovered that entering \^{} causes a crash. And it appears that a number of other LaTeX type commands cause a crash, \hat{} for example.

When I type caret symbol ^ or backslash caret ^ in the y-axis title box (PadEditor) nothing happens, caret do not show up. I am using US keyboard layout. (This page is not showing the backslash though).

That’s seems to be some Guide text filed issue. @bellenot told me it works fine for him on windows. He may have an idea.

Yes, it works fine on Windows. I’ll try on a Linux machine asap and let you know

So the ROOT master branch works for me on a CentOS 7 machine, connected from Windows via PuTTY and Xming

You need to use code blocks to display things like backslashes:

Try the following. Make sure that the “Caps Lock” is off. Strike “^” (“Shift-6”) and then the “Space” bar. If it doesn’t help, strike “^” two times and then the “Space” bar.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.