ROOT on Windows

Hi

I am new in using ROOT . I have few questions:
1)To use ROOT on Windows 7 or 10 there is only the 5.34 version right?
2)If I want to use the examples from root 5.34…/test directory…I must do a make. Which make should I use? Cwin or Cmake? Are they 32 or 64 depended?
3)is root 5.34 a 32 version? Therefore whatever make I might use must be 32 bit ?
4)do you have a step by step documentation of root for 32 version…like how to set up environment variables, how yo do a debug version, how to use cmake…common know errors?

Best regards
mp

Hi,

1. Correct
  2. “nmake -f Makefile.win32” should do it
  3. Yes, ROOT on Windows is only 32 bit
  4. To set-up the environment variables for ROOT itself, calling thisroot.bat (in the bin directory of ROOT) is enough. Then, for CMake & ROOT, see this page

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi
Thanks. I managed to made the cmake.
How do I run the Event to obtain the Event root file
Thanks
mp

Hi,

Well, simply execute Event.exe…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hmmm… I do not get any exe file
1)when I type in the command
"nmake -f Makefile.win32" I get the answer
" ‘nmake’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file "

1. I did cmake -G "Windows 12 " source directory…and I obtain .vcxproj for all the projects in the test directory

2. then I did cmake --build but I get many errors and no exe file.

Is there another order to do this?
Thanks
mp

[quote=“mpkansasuni”]1)when I type in the command
"nmake -f Makefile.win32" I get the answer
" ‘nmake’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file "[/quote]
You have to open a “Developper Command Prompt” from the “Visual Studio Tools” folder of the Visual Studio Menu, or call “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat” (with quotes) from a regular command prompt, in order to use nmake.

Cheers, Bertrand.

is working
mp