ROOT Installation

Hello!

My operating system is “Ubuntu 16.04 Mate”. But I cannot install “ROOT” on this system.

I have downloaded “root_v6.06.02.Linux-ubuntu14-x86_64-gcc4.8.tar.gz”, extracted directly to my home folder “/home/user” and I do not know I have to do next.

I do not understand how to install “ROOT” on my system correctly.

Please help me!

If you can you will describe your actions on installation more.

Thank you!

Hi Vadim, the best way to install ROOT is to compile it from sources. This means you do not have to take this tar file but a more generic one: root_v6.06.02.source.tar.gz

What you have to do to compile ROOT is explained here

You need to setup the running environment

source /home/user/root/bin/thisroot.sh

[quote=“mato”]You need to setup the running environment

source /home/user/root/bin/thisroot.sh [/quote]

I have done as you recommend, but when I type a command “root” into the terminal I receive next message:
[b]
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: file ‘/usr/include/c++/5/new’ modified since it was first processed
#include

input_line_8:1:10: fatal error: file ‘/usr/include/c++/5/iostream’ modified since it was first processed
#include
[/b]

Sorry. I misread your message. You have an ubuntu 16 system and downloaded the binaries for ubuntu14. This will not work. You will need to build from sources, but since the system compiler is gcc 5.x you will need to apply the following additional configuration option:

cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0   <other options> <sources>

[quote=“mato”]Sorry. I misread your message. You have an ubuntu 16 system and downloaded the binaries for ubuntu14. This will not work. You will need to build from sources, but since the system compiler is gcc 5.x you will need to apply the following additional configuration option:

cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 <other options> <sources> [/quote]

What are and ? Are it optional parameters?

See root.cern.ch/installing-root-source

You can try also to build ROOT by downgrading your gcc compiler as explained here: