ROOT installation Windows problems

Unfortunately, if I write in that way, it say that cmake-gui isnt’ a known internal or exeternal command etc

Then open it from the Windows start menu, it should be part of CMake

It looks like that I don’t have Cmake in the start menù

and in the programs directory too

Maybe, do I have to install something more than Visual Studio?

Maybe this one https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/releases/download/v3.20.0/cmake-3.20.0-windows-x86_64.msi ?

So I don’t know where your CMake is coming from (maybe Visual Studio), but I would advise you to find a way to get CMake-Gui, it will be very useful.

I installed cmake

and i did cmake-gui .

this is the log

> 
> Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.19041.0 to target Windows 10.0.19042.
> HepMC3 Build type not specified, use: Release
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_ENABLE_SEARCH         ON
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_ENABLE_ROOTIO         OFF
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_ENABLE_PYTHON         ON
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_PYTHON_VERSIONS       2.X,3.X
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_ENABLE_TEST           OFF
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_BUILD_DOCS            OFF
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_BUILD_EXAMPLES        OFF
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_INSTALL_INTERFACES    OFF
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_ROOTIO_INSTALL_LIBDIR lib
> HepMC3: HEPMC3_CXX_STANDARD 11 
> HepMC3: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID MSVC 
> HepMC3: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /bigobj /wd4267 /wd4244 /wd4477 /MD /O2 /Ob2 /DNDEBUG  
> HepMC3: CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ID MSVC 
> Could NOT find Python2 (missing: Python2_LIBRARIES Python2_INCLUDE_DIRS Interpreter Development.Module) (Required is at least version "2")
>     Reason given by package: 
>         Interpreter: Wrong version for the interpreter "C:/Users/faust/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python39/python.exe"
> 
> HepMC3 python: Python version 2.X not found. Python bindings for version 2.X disabled.
> HepMC3 python: Python verson 3.X found in C:/Users/faust/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python39/python.exe. Python bindings generation is possible.
> HepMC3 python: Tweak HEPMC3_Python_SITEARCH39 option to set the installation path for the python39 bindings.
> HepMC3 python: HEPMC3_Python_SITEARCH39 defaults to lib/3.9.2
> HepMC3 python: WARNING: The installation path of the python modules is HEPMC3_Python_SITEARCH=lib/3.9.2.
> HepMC3 python: WARNING: The installation path of the python modules is outside of the global instalation path CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:/Program Files/HepMC3-install.
> HepMC3 python: WARNING: You can use the HEPMC3_Python_SITEARCH39 variable to set the desired installation path for the Python39 modules.
> Configuring done
> Generating done

but Cmake can’t still find HepMC… I don’t know…

So you’re telling me that HepMC doesn’t find HepMC? What you show me if the screenshot for HepMC. You should specify that in Geant4 (or did I miss something?)

So…do I have to type cmake-gui . in the simulation directory?

You should know. You told me cmake doesn’t find HepMC, but when did cmake complain about that? When doing what?

Ok I explain better:

I’ve the directories

C:\Program Files\geant4_10_07_p01 : Geant4 sources downloaded from geant website
C:\Program Files\geant4_10_07_p01_build : Here I built Geant
C:\Program Files\geant4_10_07_p01_install : Here I installed Geant

C:\Program Files\HepMC3: HepMC sources downloaded from HepMC website
C:\Program Files\HepMC3-build : Here I built HepMC
C:\Program Files\HepMC3-install: Here I installed HepMC

C:\B1: Main directory of my simulation
C:\B1\B1-build: Here I must build my simulation

Then I lunch the commands

cd “C:/B1/B1-build”
cmake -DGeant4_DIR="C:\Program Files\geant4_10_07_p01_install\lib\Geant4-10.7.1" "C:\B1"

and I get the errore due to missing HepMC

so geant can’t build the simulation…

then in which directory should I cd and how should I sed the cmake-gui?

So you have two choices, in C:/B1/B1-build:

1. type:
    cmake -DGeant4_DIR="C:\Program Files\geant4_10_07_p01_install\lib\Geant4-10.7.1" -DHEPMC_INCLUDE_DIR="C:\Program Files\HepMC3-install\include" -DHEPMC_LIBRARIES="HepMC libraries"

and obviously replace "HepMC libraries" by the required libraries and adjust the correct include directory.
  2. open CMake-GUI in the directory and use the GUI to fill those variables.

As a more general comment I think you should try things out by yourself at some point, it’s a good way of learning…

Thank you…it looks like that this way works…or better…I have errors during the run but I think they are because of I don’t know which libraries I’ve to inlcude then I just wrote -DHEPMC_LIBRARIES="HepMC libraries" …so I’ve to try

Right, but it’s not my simulation…it’s the simulation of my supervisor’s collegue… My supervisor asked me to help his collegue making the simulations…but I never used HepMC in my Geant4 simulations, so I don’t know how to use it…and you know…supervisors always want works in few times…

I also tried the cmake-gui . method and now it looks like that it find hepmc, but later I get the same error that I got using the first method…then maybe it’s a problem related to Geant…so, thank you @bellenot…now I’ve to solve the Geant problem!

Yes, I know, don’t worry :wink:

You’re welcome! And good luck with it, I’m sure you will find the solution

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.