Root freeze problem

Just to make sure. If the time difference between starting the macro and the time you see “10000000” printed is “n” seconds, then you should expect that the macro ends after some “100 * n” seconds. Did you wait long enough?

Another question is … where does your ROOT come from? Did you build it yourself? If yes, how? Looking at your output, I can see “/mnt/data/root_6.04_06/root-6.04.06/” and the “root-6.04.06” suggests to me that you built it “in place”. However, in a [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-v6-06-00-on-ubuntu-14-04/20334/1 post[/url], some ROOT developer admitted that this creates problems.

BTW. Do you run ROOT on your (local) desktop machine or do you connect to somewhere using ssh? If it’s ssh then it’s possible that the problem is the “idle” timeout, so that after a certain time of your “inactivity”, the session gets automatically killed (actually, it is also possible that your router / firewall has a built-in TCP “idle” timeout). In this case try “ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=99 …”.

Dear Pepe,
yes it looks like that IF the macro can reach the end it takes 100 times the time to show 10000000. Otherwise it gets frozen and never finishes. If successful, It does not take hours but maybe 2-3 seconds to print the output and about 5 minutes to finish.

I just downloaded the root root_v6.04.06.source.tar.gz from the root page. Unpacked and compiled as explained in the manual. ./configure , make.
I will check the other post.
However, I had this problem also for root 5!

I both run with ssh or on local machine. This freeze problem happens in both cases.

Thanks a lot!
Francesco

You can try three things …

1. If you use a “Ubuntu 14.04 / x86_64” then try the ROOT “binary distribution”: Release 6.04/06 - 2015-10-13 … simply download the root_v6.04.06.Linux-ubuntu14-x86_64-gcc4.8.tar.gz file and unpack it … then execute “source /Where/It/Is/Unpacked/bin/thisroot.sh” and in the same terminal window run your macro (I tested this “binary distribution” on my machine and it worked for your macro).

2. Try to build the newest ROOT 6.06.00 using my instructions here: Root-6.06.00 on Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit

3. This is a bit stupid idea, but check your “limits” … it is possible that you exceed something:
    [bash]$ ulimit -S -a
    [bash]$ ulimit -H -a
    [tcsh]$ limit
    [tcsh]$ limit -h
    And check your “disk quota” if you have any (and the overall “free disk space” using “df -h”).