ROOT 6.22 compilation from source failing due to builtin_openssl not finding openssl/sha.h

Dear ROOTers,

The compilation of ROOT 6.22 fails on my Debian 10 virtual machine. Digging into the error, it seems related to the compilation of XROOTD module not finding the openssl/sha.h header file. I do not have the OpenSSL header files in my system, but CMake is supposed to use the builtin_openssl version as reported by the cmake output.
This output is attached cmake_output.txt (13.5 KB), and it has been generated by the command:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/CERN/ROOT6/v6_22_00/ -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17 -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3.7m -Dbuiltin_vc=ON -Dbuiltin_vdt=ON -Dbuiltin_veccore=ON -Dfortran=ON -Dgviz=ON -Dminuit2=ON -Dunuran=ON -Droot7=ON ~/Downloads/Software/ROOT6/root_gitrepo |& tee cmake_output.txt

while the log file /.../last_build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-err.log reads only:

[I] No git repository info found. Trying to interpret VERSION_INFO
[I] src/XrdVersion.hh successfully generated
/home/malfonsi/Downloads/Software/ROOT6/last_build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdSec/XrdSecProtect.cc:42:10: fatal error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
 #include "openssl/sha.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/XrdSecProt-4.dir/build.make:63: src/CMakeFiles/XrdSecProt-4.dir/XrdSec/XrdSecProtect.cc.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2083: src/CMakeFiles/XrdSecProt-4.dir/all] Error 2
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

BTW what is XROOTD needed for? At a first glance it seems not needed for a personal local ROOT usage, and I can just disable it for the time being.

Please let me know if you need other information

Any suggestion is very welcome,
Matteo

ROOT Version: 6.22
Platform: Debian 10
Compiler: gcc 8.3

Hi,
installing libssl-dev should fix the error, see this topic… XROOTD is used to read ROOT data over the network, you can disable it if not needed.

Cheers,
Enrico

It did. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.