Problem with fedora 18

hello, I moved from fedora 17 to fedora 18, as usual I have installed ROOT through the package manager. I get this error:

root [0] new TCanvas
Error in <RootX11ErrorHandler>: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) (TGFrame XID: 424, XREQ: 153)
TGFrame:	424

no canvas is opened

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Intel graphics card with Xorg running under Linux (you don’t say what graphics card you use). My problem was due to a bug between the Intel X-driver and the GLX implementation in recent Xorg versions. My problem was fixed by cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserve … 8b4c402dba which became available in xorg-server-1.13.1.901. If that version isn’t yet available in the main Fedora repositories you should file a bug report with them.

[quote=“honk”]Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Intel graphics card with Xorg running under Linux (you don’t say what graphics card you use). My problem was due to a bug between the Intel X-driver and the GLX implementation in recent Xorg versions. My problem was fixed by cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserve … 8b4c402dba which became available in xorg-server-1.13.1.901. If that version isn’t yet available in the main Fedora repositories you should file a bug report with them.[/quote]

thank you. I have installed X.Org X Server 1.13.1, rebooted the system and I get the same error

Hi,

the last part of the version number matters as well. You can find the version of your xorg installation in the Xorg.0.log, e.g. with

$ grep "X.Org X Server" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I suspect your version is not 1.13.1.901 which was only released a couple of weeks ago, but some earlier version which contains the bug, but not the fix.

If you can only get an older version in the latest Fedora you should try to find out if your distribution can fix this and provide a more recent version. Giving them the URL to that fix might convince them. In any way I think this is a problem with your X server, not with ROOT.

Cheers,

Benjamin

[quote=“honk”]Hi,

the last part of the version number matters as well. You can find the version of your xorg installation in the Xorg.0.log, e.g. with

$ grep "X.Org X Server" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I suspect your version is not 1.13.1.901 which was only released a couple of weeks ago, but some earlier version which contains the bug, but not the fix.

If you can only get an older version in the latest Fedora you should try to find out if your distribution can fix this and provide a more recent version. Giving them the URL to that fix might convince them. In any way I think this is a problem with your X server, not with ROOT.

Cheers,

Benjamin[/quote]

thank you. I got the version from exactly that file. I can wait some weeks to see if a new version will be available

Good.

If you feel like looking at some plots with ROOT in the meantime you can run ROOT inside Xephyr (which uses some unaffected infrastructure). If you don’t have it installed already it should be in Fedora’s repositories.

$ Xephyr :1 -screen 1000x600 &
$ DISPLAY=:1 root

You can pick another screen size. There are many options which are not mentioned in Xephyr’s manpage, but displayed by

$ Xephyr -h

[quote=“honk”]Good.

If you feel like looking at some plots with ROOT in the meantime you can run ROOT inside Xephyr (which uses some unaffected infrastructure). If you don’t have it installed already it should be in Fedora’s repositories.

$ Xephyr :1 -screen 1000x600 &
$ DISPLAY=:1 root

You can pick another screen size. There are many options which are not mentioned in Xephyr’s manpage, but displayed by

$ Xephyr -h [/quote]

thank you, I prefer to stay with plain xorg. For ROOT I have other way to use it

Hi,

I have the same issue with the ROOT version from the yum repository.
I then downloaded and compiled 5.34/02: that build works perfectly.

Cheers,
Christophe.