Problem setting DISPLAY on Mac OS X 10.8

Hi all,
I’m having difficulty with trying to run ROOT on the new Mac OS “Mountain Lion” on my personal machine.
I installed XQuartz, then installed ROOT, no problems.
Tried to run ROOT and got the message:

root: can't figure out DISPLAY, set it manually In case you run a remote ssh session, restart your ssh session with: =========> ssh -Y
Here is what I have tried to set it manually

export DISPLAY=/Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
That didn’t work. I got a message saying:

Error in <TGClient::TGClient>: can't open display "/Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app/Contents/MacOS/X11", switching to batch mode... In case you run from a remote ssh session, reconnect with ssh -Y
I also tried a Google search and tried a couple more things that didn’t work

I’ve searched for other posts about this, but all I could find were problems involving remote machines. I’m just trying to get it running on my own!

Thanks for any help!
Doug

Try (see “man 7 X” for DISPLAY names):
export DISPLAY=":0"

Tried that from my Google searching :stuck_out_tongue:
Gives me this message:

[davis@local ~]$ root root [0] TBrowser d Error in <TGClient::TGClient>: can't open display "0:0", switching to batch mode... In case you run from a remote ssh session, reconnect with ssh -Y root [1]

I’m quite stumped
I’ll read through that documentation and see if I can find something, thanks
Doug

Do you open an xterm locally or do you ssh to that machine?

I’m opening up a terminal (or xterm) locally

Just got it! Thanks a lot, I had typed in your suggestion wrong.
Again, thank you!

There’s something screwy in your setup if the DISPLAY environment variable is not defined properly be default.

I know, it was by default on Lion with X11. With Apple’s move to XQuartz I’m sure some stuff will need some ironing out. This will do for now.