Old version vs. New Version Installation Processes

Don’t they explicitly say that you’re first supposed to:
export PYTHIA8=path_to_PYTHIA8_installation

I added the following lines to my bashrc file as I was installing pythia (before installing root)

export PYTHIA8=/home/username/pythia_root/pythia8
export PYTHIA8DATA=$PYTHIA8/xmldoc

So, see what you get from:
ls -al ${PYTHIA8}/lib/
ls -al ${PYTHIA8}/include

Now I am getting error because I have to uninstall everything. So now I have to start from scratch in that link I mentioned.
However,
You once said “when you are building a new ROOT version, make always sure that nothing in your environment variables (i.e. “ROOTSYS”, “PATH”, “LD_LIBRARY_PATH”) points to another existing version of ROOT”

Which command line actually can do that for me?

Try:
echo ${ROOTSYS}
echo ${PATH}
echo ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
and see if there’s anything related to another ROOT version (if yes, you need to make sure that it’s not “seen”).

I ran them from my home directory and I received a response only from the second check:

bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/aashoormaram/.local/bin:/home/…/bin

So, just try:
which root
type root
which rootcint
type rootcint
and if you get “not found”, then it’s fine.

Here it is:

[…@localhost ~]$ which root
/usr/bin/which: no root in (/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/…/.local/bin:/home/…/bin)
[…@localhost ~]$ type root
bash: type: root: not found
[…@localhost ~]$ which rootcint
/usr/bin/which: no rootcint in (/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/…/.local/bin:/home/…/bin)
[…@localhost ~]$ type rootcint
bash: type: rootcint: not found
[…@localhost ~]$

After I went through the installations, can I leave you a message in here to tell you about the issues?

I really appreciate your help

I don’t use pythia8 at all. :mrgreen:

Really? I am really sorry for bothering you.
I am not that good in linux so that is why I am asking so much questions.

I’ve just noticed that you wrote that you “installed pythia8 from repository of my Fedora 21”.
I guess you only installed the “binary” package with shared libraries, but in order to use it in ROOT you also need to install the corresponding “pythia8-devel” package (which provides pythia8 include files).
Note also that, if you compile your own pythia8 version, make sure that you first uninstall all pythia8 related packages coming from the Fedora 21 repository … maybe using something like:
rpm -e pythia*

I decided to not use repository for installing root and pythia. So, I am following this link http://zuysal.web.cern.ch/zuysal/pythia.html after making sure that there is no track of old versions in my system. So, I had no problem installing pythia. However, as I follow this linkhttp://zuysal.web.cern.ch/zuysal/root.html to continue with the installation of root6, I am receiving the following error messages after “make” and before “make install”

[quote]/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx: In member function ‘Bool_t TPythia8::Initialize(Int_t, Int_t, Double_t)’:
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:142:43: error: no matching function for call to ‘Pythia8::Pythia::init(Int_t&, Int_t&, Double_t&)’
return fPythia->init(idAin, idBin, ecms);
^
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:142:43: note: candidate is:
In file included from include/TPythia8.h:69:0,
from /home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:75:
/home/…/pythia_root/pythia8/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:8: note: bool Pythia8::Pythia::init()
bool init();
^
/home/…/pythia_root/pythia8/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:8: note: candidate expects 0 arguments, 3 provided
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx: In member function ‘Bool_t TPythia8::Initialize(Int_t, Int_t, Double_t, Double_t)’:
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:150:49: error: no matching function for call to ‘Pythia8::Pythia::init(Int_t&, Int_t&, Double_t&, Double_t&)’
return fPythia->init(idAin, idBin, eAin, eBin);
^
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:150:49: note: candidate is:
In file included from include/TPythia8.h:69:0,
from /home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:75:
/home/…/pythia_root/pythia8/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:8: note: bool Pythia8::Pythia::init()
bool init();
^
/home/…/pythia_root/pythia8/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:8: note: candidate expects 0 arguments, 4 provided
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx: In member function ‘void TPythia8::PrintStatistics() const’:
/home/a…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:317:13: error: ‘class Pythia8::Pythia’ has no member named ‘statistics’
fPythia->statistics();
^
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx: In member function ‘Bool_t TPythia8::Initialize(Int_t, Int_t, Double_t)’:
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:143:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
}
^
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx: In member function ‘Bool_t TPythia8::Initialize(Int_t, Int_t, Double_t, Double_t)’:
/home/…/Downloads/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:151:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
}
^
Makefile:646: recipe for target ‘montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.o’ failed
make: *** [montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.o] Error 1[/quote]

Hi,

Which exact version of Pythia and ROOT are you now using?

Axel.

Hi,
I want to use root-6 and pythia-8 together. I tried many different ways. It seems none is working. Right now, I have pythia8 installed but I don’t know how to install root6 such that I can run pythia under root. I cannot “make” root without any issue. I am really stuck.

Hi,

That doesn’t help. As I said - I need the EXACT versions of both Pythia8 and ROOT 6.

Axel.

Here they are:
root-6.02.05
pythia8205

Hi,

Then the Pythia8 interfaces were changed again… I have created sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-7251 Thanks for your report!

You can try with Pythia 8180 which is known to work.

Axel.

Hi,

Fixed now. I will roll a 6.02 release in the coming hours / days.

Axel

Hi dear Axel,
I appreciate your concern.
So, does that mean that If I insist on installing root-6.02.05 with that particular Pythia you mentioned, I should not have problem? Or should I wait for the new release of root-6?

Sincerely,