MacOSX Big Sur Update

Hi
I’ve recently upgraded my Mac OS to Big Sur and wanted to update my Root to version 22.6.
I can source thisroot.sh and it gives no error.
However when I start with the command root I get following error and then Segmentation Fault:

Francescas-MacBook-Pro-272:Applications fstocker$ root
warning: no such sysroot directory: '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX11.0.sdk'

*** Break *** segmentation violation
[/usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib] _sigtramp (no debug info)
[<unknown binary>] (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] (anonymous namespace)::RedirectingFileSystemParser::uniqueOverlayTree((anonymous namespace)::RedirectingFileSystem*, (anonymous namespace)::Entry*, (anonymous namespace)::Entry*) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] (anonymous namespace)::RedirectingFileSystem::create(std::__1::unique_ptr<llvm::MemoryBuffer, std::__1::default_delete<llvm::MemoryBuffer> >, void (*)(llvm::SMDiagnostic const&, void*), llvm::StringRef, void*, llvm::IntrusiveRefCntPtr<clang::vfs::FileSystem>) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] clang::vfs::getVFSFromYAML(std::__1::unique_ptr<llvm::MemoryBuffer, std::__1::default_delete<llvm::MemoryBuffer> >, void (*)(llvm::SMDiagnostic const&, void*), llvm::StringRef, void*, llvm::IntrusiveRefCntPtr<clang::vfs::FileSystem>) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] (anonymous namespace)::createCIImpl(std::__1::unique_ptr<llvm::MemoryBuffer, std::__1::default_delete<llvm::MemoryBuffer> >, cling::CompilerOptions const&, char const*, std::__1::unique_ptr<clang::ASTConsumer, std::__1::default_delete<clang::ASTConsumer> >, std::__1::vector<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension>, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension> > > const&, bool, bool) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] cling::CIFactory::createCI(llvm::StringRef, cling::InvocationOptions const&, char const*, std::__1::unique_ptr<clang::ASTConsumer, std::__1::default_delete<clang::ASTConsumer> >, std::__1::vector<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension>, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension> > > const&) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] cling::IncrementalParser::IncrementalParser(cling::Interpreter*, char const*, std::__1::vector<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension>, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension> > > const&) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] cling::Interpreter::Interpreter(int, char const* const*, char const*, std::__1::vector<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension>, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::shared_ptr<clang::ModuleFileExtension> > > const&, bool, cling::Interpreter const*) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] TCling::TCling(char const*, char const*, char const* const*) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCling.6.22.06.so] CreateInterpreter (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCore.6.22.06.so] TROOT::InitInterpreter() (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCore.6.22.06.so] ROOT::Internal::GetROOT2() (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libCore.6.22.06.so] TApplication::TApplication(char const*, int*, char**, void*, int) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/lib/libRint.6.22.06.so] TRint::TRint(char const*, int*, char**, void*, int, bool) (no debug info)
[/Users/fstocker/Applications/root/bin/root.exe] main (no debug info)
[/usr/lib/system/libdyld.dylib] start (no debug info)

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall xcode with

sudo rm -r /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/
xcode-select --install

however that does not seem to resolve the problem. any suggestions what else I can do?

thank you,
francesca

_ROOT Version: 22.6.06
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

1 Like

Did you search on the forum for the same kind of problem? For example this one

I ran into the same problem. While root 6.22 was running well in Big Sur 11.0, this error now shows after the first major update to 11.1. Now the ComandLineTools are not found anymore at the given path, because it changed to

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX11.1.sdk/

I had the same issue.
Following your error output, you would be able to fix this by going in to your /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/ directory and pasting
sudo ln -s MacOSX.sdk/ MacOSX11.0.sdk

I found how to do this from:

1 Like

Hmm that’s bad :frowning: I saw that new Xcode or command line tools come with previous SDKs included, and I guess what you’re saying @thomasbergauer is that you only have the SDK called MacOSX11.1.sdk, and no MacOSX11.1.sdk anymore?

For @hmwakeling the issue is the inverse: the SDK used to build ROOT was too new. If you look for software updates there’s no “Command Line Tools” update waiting?

Dear @Axel, my SDK directory looks like this:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   14 16 Dez 15:01 MacOSX.sdk -> MacOSX11.1.sdk
drwxr-xr-x  8 root  wheel  256  9 Jul  2020 MacOSX10.15.sdk
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  224 30 Nov 13:33 MacOSX11.1.sdk

but root 6.22/06 searches explicitly for MacOSX11.0.sdk. It seems that the new numbering scheme from Apple created some mess here. Creating a symlink solved the problem for me but others might run into the same issue:
sudo ln -s MacOSX.sdk MacOSX11.0.sdk

1 Like

There is no “Command Line Tools” update waiting that I can see.

Excellent idea: sudo ln -s MacOSX.sdk MacOSX11.0.sdk worked for me fine!
Many thanks,

Elemer

1 Like

This issue of the missing SDK library location is also documented on the Internet as of October 2018. The favored reply there was to do the command

xcode-select --install

after the Xcode package is installed from the Apple Store. I ran into this problem yesterday when I was installing the latest (April 14, 2021) macosxarm64 version on a newly purchased Silicon iMac running Big Sur Version 11.4. The xcode-select --install command should download another package from the Apple Store, taking about 8 minutes to complete.