Mac OSX xcode command line tools v9.0

Thanks, I pulled a recent version with

git clone http://root.cern.ch/git/root.git

and compiled and installed it and then everything worked perfectly.

Paul

Hi,

I guess I am having a similar problem:
I have a macbook pro 2016 running macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and I have installed root6 via homebrew and it has been working without any problems.

This morning I updated Command Line Tools to version 9.0, and this happens to crash with root:

francescolosterzo ~$ root -l 
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/new' modified since it was first processed
#include <new>
         ^
input_line_3:36:10: fatal error: file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/string' modified since it was first processed
#include <string>
         ^
input_line_7:2:10: fatal error: error opening file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/string':
#include <string>

As you can see above I can’t even open root without having this problem.
Do you foresee any permanent fix to this?

What shall I do? Is reverting to the previous version of Command Line Tools an option?

I tried to reinstall root from scratch (always via brew) but this didn’t fix the problem.

Thanks!!
Francesco

My expérience with the last Mac updates is:

First I installed XCode 9 when it showed up. I still had MacOS 10.12 at that time. ROOT did not compiled because of the TString issue. This is now fixed in the ROOT code.

Then, later on, I installed MacOS 10.13 when it showed up too. Again ROOT did not compile … But in some part of the code we had not touched. I solved that doing:

$ xcode-select --install

Now all is fine for me.

Hi @couet

Command Line Tools are already installed on my mac:

francescolosterzo ~$ xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates
francescolosterzo ~$ 

And having gone to “Software Update” is what triggered the problem.

Thanks!
Francesco

ok … I just told you my experience in case it could help. On my mac I now have all the most recent versions of Xcode, MacOS and ROOT and all is finally working.

Hi, I am having the same issue too…

I’m quite new to all this, but I just need to update Root? I have the v6.06/08. I’ve been using Homebrew to download Root previously, any of you using that too?
Thanks in advance!
Barnabas

Ahh, but you installed ROOT from source where as @losterzo is trying to install from homebrew. I suspect that homebrew has not been updated with the recent fix and that you will need to build from source until that time. See this page for instruction on how to build from source: Building ROOT from source - ROOT

Yes yes sure … I just explained what I did to make clear there is no problem with the current ROOT master.

I’m not sure that was clear to the others, just wanted to make it explicit.

Any timeline on when the patch will be in a release? I’m reluctant to upgrade my machine until this point as I don’t want to tell the users I support that I can only verify the code against the master.

1 Like

yes, is there any idea on when the homebrew version will be fixed? If it’s coming, I’d avoid compiling root.

Thanks!!!

Another option:

1 Like

Hi @ksmith

it looks like I have the Command Line Tools (update to v9.0 via the App Store), but I have no Xcode (if I look for it on the App Store I see the “Get” button) … I didn’t know this was even possible.

From my post above:

francescolosterzo ~$ xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates
francescolosterzo ~$ 

The point is that I found instructions about how to downgrade Xcode, but I can’t find any about how to downgrade a “standalone” instance of Command Line Tools.

Any ideas/suggestions? Shall I just install the older version of Xcode and that will take care of CLT? Or shall I instead install the latest Xcode and then downgrade it?

Thanks!!!

Perhaps @Ashley_Hood knows more as it was her post.

@losterzo,

I uninstalled my Xcode 9 and restarted my computer. I then went to the developer website and downloaded the Xcode 8.3.3. After installing that version, everything in root has been running smoothly. Here’s the site again: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

edit: I already had root6 installed using Homebrew and I didn’t need to fix anything after reinstalling Xcode.

It worked indeed. I installed Xcode 8.3.3 and ran

brew upgrade root

and now everything works fine.

Thanks!

Sorry to bother, but I still see some problem here:
as I wrote above when I run root everything is fine, but I see that when I run my python to generate some plots I get this error:

francescolosterzo MCStudies$ python makePlots.py 
fatal error: file
      '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/memory'
      modified since it was first processed

The error is not there if I just open a python shell.

Any idea? What shall I do?

Try rebuilding ROOT from scratch …

Now homebrew upgrades ROOT6 to 6.10/06. This version solves my problem! Just do

brew upgrade root6

I confirm that upgrading root and downgrading XCode solves the original problem. Nevertheless I still have the second problem:

francescolosterzo MCStudies$ python makePlots.py 
fatal error: file
      '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/memory'
      modified since it was first processed

I am trying to avoid to rebuild ROOT from scratch, but if it’s the only solution I’ll go for it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.