Intall ROOT on Anaconda

Hello everyone, I’m having a hard time trying to install ROOT on Anaconda. I am using the “conda install -c conda-forge root” command but I get this error:
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.

PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

• root

Current channels:

[List of websites that I am not allowed to post]
To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you’re
looking for, navigate to

[Anaconda website]
1 Like

I am also currently having trouble to install root with conda.

1. Did you set the priority first as described here?
    conda config --set channel_priority strict

2. Try to install again, but as far as i understand right now, then it will also fail. As it is impossible(?) to install root into the conda environment with anaconda packages already, as it has its own python versions, etc. which might conflict with root dependencies versions… See another post on this.

3. So the easiest (as far as I understand again) should be to just create a new environment with root and then try to install anaconda on top if you need it:

conda create -c conda-forge --name <my-environment> root
conda activate <my-environment>
cconda install anaconda

which fails for me right now, but it might be my local problem so try yourself…

From what I could understand according to the research I’ve done, It is not possible to use ROOT on Windows. Now I am trying to use it on the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), but I’m still figuring out how to do that :sweat_smile:

You should make some more research. ROOT is natively available on Windows and you can download pre-built binaries from there. And Anaconda is another story…

Obviously, I meant that you cannot use root with Anaconda in a Windows environment