Installing Root on Windows 10

You only need Visual Studio if you want to compile your code, or if you want to create your own application…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Just a reminder that Windows 10 now has WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and it is possible to run ROOT 6 binary distribution for Ubuntu 14/16 (depending on version installed in WSL) inside it. You’ll need X11 server for Windows, for example, XMing.

4 Likes

Hi,
We were trying this option, following the instructions in this article https://medium.com/@blake.leverington/installing-cern-root-under-windows-10-with-subsystem-for-linux-beta-75295defc6d4

But we can’t make the xming to work, could you please share the configurations to run the x11 server?

thanks!

Hi Clem,

Any details?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tips.

As it turned out the default xming worked, but then we had to install additional libraries (libxft and libtiff5) to get a TCanvas to display (otherwise we had a segmentation fault claiming these missing libraries).

cheers,
Clem

it is really very hlepful

@berserker Is it essential X11 server for Window 10 (Xming…)? Window 10 has window subsystem for Linux. We only need to turn on DEVELOOPED MODE and window subsystem for Linux then we will download ubuntu from Microsoft store.

I think you don’t need X11 if you run root in the batch mode.

Where do you write code, on win 10 or on WSL? Do you need install Microsoft visual studio corresponding with version of ROOT installed on WSL?

Anywhere

No, you need Visual Studio only if you run ROOT on windows 10 native (not on WSL)

1 Like

Thank you. I installed ROOT 6.18.04 on WSL. I want to write code on Win 10 and run macros in WSL. I’m a beginner to C++ and ROOT. Firstly, i wrote code in NotePad and there isn’t code Hints. I spent a lot of time. Could you tell me what i should do to appear code hints and debug? (Now i am writing code in VScode on Win 10).

WSL is like Linux, you can select any code editor (I use the Visual Studio Code Editor on Windows 10) and to debug on WSL, I guess gdb might work (I only develop on native Windows)

Be honest, i want to work on native Windows, but i have errors many times when i install ROOT 6.18.04 on Win 10. I can run ROOT 5.34.36 property on Win 10, but this version is old and some codes changed.

ear All,

I would like to migrate an application initially developed with root and Cygwin

I did a migration to Linux in 2016. and had to compile the Fortran programs called as exe by my application.

Unfortunately, my application is also calling Windows ActiveX which are not working on Linux.

Also we need a standalone PC version of this application.

So I thinks to migrate our application back to Windows 10

So my question is what is the best solution on Windows10 considering the 2 aspects (code migrated to Linux, ActiveX needed)

Use a package for Visual Studio

or

WSL package?

Thank in advance for advices

Best regards :grimacing: :innocent:

Thibaut

Hi Thibaut,

I’m not sure if you have access to ActiveX from inside WSL… You can try to use ROOT 6 on Windows (with CMake).
And BTW, it would have been better to start a new topic instead of continuing an old (and unrelated) one.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,
Thanks for your reply
I can start a new topic but before can you clarify me several points:
Q1) Is Visual Studio needed? if yes which version? ( is VS2017 OK?)
Q2) is CMake usefull for a window application?
Q3) Does a simple exemple exists on the site?
Regards
Thibaut

Yes. VS 2019

What do you mean? You can still use old NMake makefiles, or MS solution files, or whatever you want…

Example of what?
Just to clarify: CMake is needed only if you want to build ROOT from source, or if you want to have a cross-platform way of generating makefiles/projects

Q4) If I have already a plaltform with VS2017 .is there an optimized version of root for that version of VS

Q5) an example of Visual Studio program calling root function would be usefull

Regards
Thibaut

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t launch root on Windows 10