Installing root on mac os x 10.5.2

Hello,

I am really new to mac and to programming and was wondering if I could get a step by step on how to install root on my macbook. I have mac os x 10.5.2 (leopard). I downloaded root-v5.18.00-macosx-i386-ggc4.0. I followed the instructions in the instructions document and I get that ./configure does not exist. Also I was wondering if there is anything else I need to have before installing root. Thank you.

Renee

Hi,

I personally installed ROOT from sources.

1. download the sources at ftp://root.cern.ch/root/root_v5.19.04.source.tar.gz
  2. double click the downloaded file in order to uncompress it. It will create a folder. Move this folder where you want root to be installed.

At this point we follow the instructions you can find at : root.cern.ch/root/Install.html

1. Open a terminal. Go to the folder which resulted from the uncompression .
  2. if I am right and you have a csh terminal (default on mac), edit the file ~/.tcshrc and add :

setenv ROOTSYS <path>/root setenv PATH ${ROOTSYS}/bin:${PATH} setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${ROOTSYS}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH ${ROOTSYS}/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH} rehash
is the path where you previously put the folder.
5) type ./configure
6) type

1. wait until it finishes
    8 ) try running root :

Hope it helps !

Barth

Thank you for you’ll help. I was able to do everything, except when I try to open root it tells me that the file is not found. I am not sure how to get it to work. Thanks

Renee

Hi,

If the system can’t find the root file, that means that your environment variables are somehow wrong.
I would need the following information to help you :

1. the path to your root folder ?
  2. the result of the command echo $SHELL
  3. The files ~/.tcshrc and ~/.bashrc (as I am still not sure which shell you are using), copy paste them here

Cheers,

Barth

Hello,

So the location of my folder is:

The result of echo $SHELL is:

I was not able to find ~/.tcshrc or ~/.bashrc, it kept telling me that no such file or directory.

Thanks for your help.

Renee

Hi,

So your shell is bash. Therefore we will have to edit the file .bashrc in your home directory. I am surprised that you don’t have this file. I have to check this evening at home how to show the hidden files.
Do you have the file .bash_profile in your home directory ? Does the following command work ?

cd ~ more .bash_profile

If you have this file, edit it and add

export ROOTSYS=/Users/renee/software/root
export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

The name of the folder is “root” right ? otherwise change the first export.

If you can’t edit the .bash_profile neither .bashrc, just try to copy and paste the previous export in a terminal and to type “root” to start root :

root

Good luck

Barth

Hello,

I tried cd - and got -bash: cd: OLDPWD not set. Also when I typed more .bash_profile it said no such file or directory.

Thanks

Renee

it is not

cd - (minus)
but

cd ~ (tilda)

This means “Go to my home”, i.e. it is equivalent to

Just to be sure you are following : when you type “root” the OS will look into your PATH environment variable to see if there is a location which contain a root program to launch. It is why we have to change the PATH and add some others environment variable, in order to be sure that the system knows where to look for root.

Now what I would like you to do :

1. Try again (with a tilda not a minus )

cd ~ more .bash_profile
and report what it says.

1. Even if point 1. fails, try

[code]

root [/code]

Good luck

Barth

So I’m having pretty much the same problem with installing Root on my mac, not to butt in on this thread. I’ve been following your steps, they’ve been a big help so far but, step 1 yielded:
kevin-clearys-macbook:~ kcleary$ cd ~
kevin-clearys-macbook:~ kcleary$ more .bash_profile
.bash_profile: No such file or directory
kevin-clearys-macbook:~ kcleary$

I tried step 2 and the command root says no such file or directory (don’t worry I changed the Users/renee…etc to my own directory).

when I typed more .bash_profile I got no such file or directory. Then I continued your instructions and when I typed root it also said no such file or directory.

Thanks
Renee

Hi guys, I am in the same situation… How did your story finnish???

I neither have basch nor bachrc (the answer is always command not found). The same thing if I type root. otherwise root seems installed… if I give all the address to the prompt (I mean Desktop/sonia/root/root-v5-34-00-patches/bin/root.exe) it is opened.
But if I try to open a root file just by pressing it, I can’t open it!!!
I hope someone can to help me

You have to create your own .bashrc file in your home directory, see an example in:
stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail … 51785.html

Christian

Hi All,

I need to reinstall root but it is not working yet. I tried all the steps from this post, creating a .bash_profile file, creating a .bashrc file, adding all the export lines to those files…

But then when I try

The terminal tells me that is does not exist. And it doesn’t, because when I look in the root directory there is no such file. So how do I go from here?

Thanks in advance,
Nikkie

Hi All,

I managed to install root after all using MacPorts. I can recommend this to everyone who is not such an expert as it comes to installing root. You can install it easyly and it has very good documentation. You can find it here:
https://www.macports.org/

The User guide explains everything, but basically, once you have installed macport (three simple steps) macport will install root for you.

Good luck!

1 Like