Installing ROOT - internal compiler error

I was installing ROOT. What is the likely reason of this error:

[ 48%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/SemaExpr.cpp.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:104618: Error: expected comma after name `_ZN5clang4Sema29ActOnUnaryExprOrType' in .size directive
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.
interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/build.make:662: recipe for target 'interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/SemaExpr.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/SemaExpr.cpp.o] Error 4
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:6917: recipe for target 'interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Try the newest ROOT 6 version.

I am installing v6-10-08

What’s the exact system version and the compiler version?

gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4) 5.4.0 20160609
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial

If this is a x86_64 system, simply download and unpack the official binary distribution of ROOT 6.10/08 for Ubuntu 16 gcc5.4.

1. In which directory should I unpack it?
  2. How will I run this root version?

Unpack it wherever you want, then in an xterminal session source /where/you/unpacked/root/bin/thisroot.sh (in order to set the required environment variables) and then you can run root in this xterminal session.

1 Like

There are two possible reasons that I can see for the original internal compiler error: an actual bug in your compiler, or the compiler running out of memory. make -j1 and watching the memory usage will tell you - but it will take ages to build ROOT that way…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.