Installing Root in Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Hi,
I’m an R user, trying to install ROOT to be able to use the xps package. I have no developer skills :S.
I’ve been trying to install ROOT from the source in a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
When I try to compile it, it runs for a while, but then it always stops at the same error:

gfortran -O2 -m64 -std=legacy -o misc/minicern/src/hbook.o -c misc/minicern/src/hbook.f
:0: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html for instructions.
make: *** [misc/minicern/src/hbook.o] Error 1
rm core/utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx core/utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

Make sure you have a recent gfortran from Fink or MacPorts. Mine is

(macroot3) [201] gfortran -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0
Configured with: …/gcc-4.4.4/configure --prefix=/sw --prefix=/sw/lib/gcc4.4 --mandir=/sw/share/man --infodir=/sw/lib/gcc4.4/info --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,java --with-gmp=/sw --with-libiconv-prefix=/sw --with-ppl=/sw --with-cloog=/sw --with-mpc=/sw --with-system-zlib --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --program-suffix=-fsf-4.4
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC)

which works fine.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi,

As the developer of xps, who is doing all his development on Mac OS X, I want to answer your question regarding gfortran.

Since you are an R user and the R-developers strongly discourage the use of fink, please note that the R-developers have made the correct gfortran compiler available for download at:
R.research.att.com/

Please see also my comments in the RootTalk forum:

Regards
Christian
C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a
V.i.e.n.n.a A.u.s.t.r.i.a
e.m.a.i.l: cstrato at aon.at