Installation problems (Ubuntu 14.04)

Now the root5.34 directory is gone, and I do have the empty list! I still have the root directory, but I think it’s ok because it simply contains files extracted from root.**.tar. Should the past versions of root on my machine have been deleted now? What shall I do to install root in the proper way ?

Tomorrow I’ll try to install root again, following what has been said in those topics and what’s said in the guide.
Actually I still have the root directroy, should I delete it? (In this case, rmdir root it’s unsuccessful. What should I do?)
My last question is: which installation method should be preferred?

Following those instructions I was able to install root successfully. Now, when I try to compile using root-config --cflags --glibs I don’t get any error.
Though there is a problem: when I try to run root (typing root) I get:

The program 'root' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install root-system-bin unless I go in v5-34-00-patches directory and do . bin/thisroot.sh; after this I can run root without any problem. How can I make permanent this installation?

Completely solved!
I had to follow these instructions to config and make root:

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]

https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/trouble-installing/18046/11[/quote]
Then, to avoid the .bin/thisroot.sh problem after any reboot (or new session) I followed what has been said here: ROOT uninstalls on reboot - #6 by Wile_E_Coyote
(It was sufficient to add source /(this first slash is foundamental)FULL/PATH/TO/YOUR/ROOT/bin/thisroot.sh to my .bashrc)

Thank you Wile E. Coyote, your help was really appreciated!