Install root with conda on ubuntu 22.04: conflicts found

Hi all,

I am trying to install root with conda on a freshly install Ubuntu 22.04.
I believe a have installed all root dependencies with sudo apt install just to be safe.
And I have also installed Anaconda environment already.

And now I am trying to create a new root environment with:

# conda-forge is in defaults channels already
conda create -n root_env root

I got this error, which I cannot comprehend…

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: unsuccessful attempt using repodata from current_repodata.json, retrying with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: | 
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
failed                                                                                                                                                                                                     

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with your system:

- feature:/linux-64::__glibc==2.35=0
  - feature:/linux-64::__linux==5.19.0=0
  - feature:|@/linux-64::__glibc==2.35=0
  - root -> ipython -> __linux
  - root -> ipython -> __win
  - root -> root_base==6.28.0=py310h720e498_1 -> __glibc[version='>=2.17|>=2.17,<3.0.a0']

Your installed version is: 5.19.0

Note that strict channel priority may have removed packages required for satisfiability.

It looks like you have some incompatible version of Python. That’s weird as you said your system is freshly installed … Maybe @bellenot will have some idea about it?

No idea, I work on Windows and never used conda…

I am only starting to get familiar with conda, but isn’t it the whole point of conda that it creates a separate environment with its own python (and other dependencies) versions, regardless from what is on the system… Which makes me confused, how other incompatible python versions I might have in the system affect this at all

I never used conda either. May be @vpadulan has an idea? or sb else?

conda create --name root_env -c conda-forge root python=3.11

actually works and installs root conda environment. The python in the end is actually mandatory and it has been answered here before.

The error about the uncompatible linux and glibc is just a very poor way of conda informing about conflicting environments (similar issue)…

The main issue seems to be that root conda package requires conda python package exactly from conda-forge and doesn’t work with pythons from other repositories, even deafult from anaconda… Thus one needs to make sure that the python version comes from the conda-forge channel, or just install it simultaneously with root and let it pick up the compatible version…

So it seems root conda package is uncompatible with anaconda for now…
Also conda install anaconda on top of the root or trying it install in parallel doesn’t work.

1 Like