How to build ROOT 6 on Scientific Linux

Hello,
I tried to compile ROOT’s master branch on a virtual machine mounting SLC6. The OS doesn’t provide a version of gcc with support for c++11 out of the box, so I installed the devtoolkit and python2.7 as per here.

ROOT seems to compile correctly using the g++ version contained in the devtoolkit, but some c++11 features seem to be broken. For example move-constructing a string causes a segfault.

Is there a standard procedure to build and use ROOT on Scientific Linux machines that do not have access to AFS?

Cheers,
E.G.

Define CC and CXX environment variables to point to the new installed compiler before invoking cmake.

These are the steps I used to build ROOT on a SLC6 virtual machine after installing devtoolkit and python2.7 (I didn’t set C and CXX but I passed the right paths to cmake which should be the same if I’m not mistaken. CMakeCache.txt confirms that CMake is using the new compilers).

$ export PYTHON_LIBRARY=/opt/rh/python27/root/usr/lib64
$ export PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/rh/python27/root/usr/include/python2.7
$ export PYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/opt/rh/python27/root/usr/bin/python2.7
$ cmake ../ROOT -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/opt/rh/devtoolset-2/root/usr/bin/g++ -DCM    AKE_C_COMPILER=/opt/rh/devtoolset-2/root/usr/bin/gcc -DCMAKE_LINKER=/opt/rh/dev    toolset-2/root/usr/bin/ld -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../ROOT_install

ROOT compiles without errors, but I encounter the following problem running it:

$ root -b -l
root [0] std::string a = "hello"
(std::string &) "hello"[4]
root [1] std::string b = std::move(a)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZNSsC1EOSs' unresolved while linking function '_GLOBAL__sub_I_cling_module_9'!
You are probably missing the definition of std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(std::string&&)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?

*** Break *** segmentation violation

Hi,
does the same error occur if you compile after typing:
scl enable devtoolset-2 bash?
Or after sourcing the file /opt/rh/devtoolset-2/enable?

You can also try installing devtoolset-3

Cheers,
Matteo

Yes, in fact I have

source /opt/rh/devtoolset-2/enable source /opt/rh/python27/enable
in /etc/profile, so every shell has the devtoolset enabled and g++ --version shows that gcc 4.8.2 is in use.

So even if I didn’t mention these commands in my previous post they were there.

EDIT:
I should also mention that I can compile and run ROOT on lxplus with a similar procedure, using the version of gcc available on afs instead of the one in devtoolkit. The steps are

lxplus$ source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh
lxplus$ export PYTHON_LIBRARY=/afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/Python/2.7.3/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/lib
lxplus$ export PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=/afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/Python/2.7.3/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/include/python2.7
lxplus$ export PYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/Python/2.7.3/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/bin/python2.7
lxplus$ cmake ../ROOT -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=$(which g++) -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=$(which gcc) -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../ROOT_install
###### for some reason CMake didn't pick up on the PYTHON* environment variables and complains python2.7 is not installed, so I change the paths by hand in CMakeCache.txt #####
lxplus$ cmake ../ROOT -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=$(which g++) -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=$(which gcc) -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../ROOT_install
lxplus$ make install

I had a similar problem with a MC generator, I’ve solved exporting those variables:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/rh/devtoolset-3/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.9.1/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/opt/rh/devtoolset-3/root/usr/bin/:$PATH

ofc they refer to devtoolset-3. Idk if this can resolve your problem

Doesn’t seem to work for me

I think what happens is the following.
You put “source /opt/rh/…enable” into the “/etc/profile”. These “rh” scripts will probably modify the “LD_LIBRARY_PATH”, but these changes will be removed by the “Linux security” when your login shell is started.
I think you need to put all these “source …” commands into your own profile (i.e. something like “${HOME}/.profile”, “${HOME}/.bash_profile”, “${HOME}/.bash_login”, “${HOME}/.bashrc”, …).

Hello Wile,
I just tried to recompile ROOT from scratch (deleting the previous build) after adding

source /opt/rh/devtoolset-2/enable source /opt/rh/python27/enableto my ~/.bashrc and my ~/.profile.

CMake does not complain (and I’m still calling it with the -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER flag to make it use the right compiler) and make runs without errors.

When I run an interactive session I still incur into segmentation faults when using c++11 features like move. For example: [code]root [0] std::string a(“hello”)
root [1] std::string b = std::move(a)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol ‘_ZNSsC1EOSs’ unresolved while linking function ‘_GLOBAL__sub_I_cling_module_9’!
You are probably missing the definition of std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator >::basic_string(std::string&&)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?

*** Break *** segmentation violation[/code]

Hi,

ROOT does not work with devtoolset. See sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-6207 for why. If you have afs, use GCC provided by sourcing /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.9/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh - that’s a complete GCC.

Cheers, Axel.

I see, thanks for the info!

Marking this as solved

Hi all,

I add to this thread (let me know if I should open another one with the appropriate subject) to ask if the same issue extends also to CERN Centos 7.1 & devtoolset-3, in this case to have C++14 on this platform.

I do not see the reported error e.g. with std::move(), however in this case the original gcc (v4.8.3) is already supporting c++11, and the extra step with gcc v4.9.2 (provided by devtoolset-3) is just to have the extra C++14 stuff. I have also tried several C++14 features (make_unique, generic lambdas) even if just since few weeks and for small tests. It seems to work as expected. Maybe you can suggest some more aimed test.

Please note that I managed to compile ROOT (v6.05.03) only using the “configure ; make” method, because the recommended method with CMake fails the compilation when it enconters the experimental string_view (I attached also the full output):

[...]
Scanning dependencies of target G__IO
[ 32%] Generating G__IO.cxx, ../../lib/libRIO.rootmap
In file included from input_line_9:6:
In file included from /tmp/malfonsi/root_builddir/include/TLockFile.h:19:
In file included from /tmp/malfonsi/root_builddir/include/TString.h:41:
In file included from /tmp/malfonsi/root_builddir/include/RStringView.h:24:
In file included from /opt/rh/devtoolset-3/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.9.2/../../../../include/c++/4.9.2/experimental/string_view:39:
/opt/rh/devtoolset-3/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.9.2/../../../../include/c++/4.9.2/bits/c++14_warning.h:32:2: error: This file requires compiler and library support for the forthcoming ISO C++ 2014 standard. This support is currently experimental, and must be enabled with the -std=c++1y or -std=gnu++1y compiler options.
#error This file requires compiler and library support for the forthcoming \
 ^
 [...etc...etc...]

With the “configure; make” method the “ROOT builtin” version of string_view is preferred over the one coming from gcc4.9.2, and I can effectively use string_view objects within ROOT without errors. (I tried to “hack” RConfigure.h before “cmake . --build” to “suggest” the use of the “builtin” string_view, but it did not work as well).

Thanks,
Matteo
cmake_build_attempt_with_devtoolset3gcc492_output.txt (140 KB)
cmake_attempt_with_devtoolset3gcc492_output.txt (19.3 KB)