How do I import root classes when using cmake?

Try with target_link_libraries(${PROJECT_NAME} ${ROOT_LIBRARIES})

1 Like

When I do this I get:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:19 (target_link_libraries):
  Cannot specify link libraries for target "heatsim" which is not built by
  this project.

when I add PUBLIC in between the two I get the same error as above.

Did you replace ${PROJECT_NAME} by your real target name (heatsim maybe) ?

Yes, but then I am greeted with the error from above:

usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `main':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text+0x5e): undefined reference to `TObject::operator delete(void*)'
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text+0xcd): undefined reference to `TVersionCheck::TVersionCheck(int)'
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `TObject::operator new(unsigned long)':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN7TObjectnwEm[_ZN7TObjectnwEm]+0x18): undefined reference to `TStorage::ObjectAlloc(unsigned long)'
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `TObject::TObject()':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN7TObjectC2Ev[_ZN7TObjectC5Ev]+0x13): undefined reference to `vtable for TObject'
/usr/bin/ld: HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN7TObjectC2Ev[_ZN7TObjectC5Ev]+0x52): undefined reference to `TObject::fgObjectStat'
/usr/bin/ld: HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN7TObjectC2Ev[_ZN7TObjectC5Ev]+0x66): undefined reference to `TObject::AddToTObjectTable(TObject*)'
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `TVector3::TVector3(double, double, double)':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN8TVector3C2Eddd[_ZN8TVector3C5Eddd]+0x2e): undefined reference to `vtable for TVector3'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/build.make:84: HeatSimulation] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:80: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2

After doing some digging, I think the problem may be that i’m not linking against libCore. How would I do this (if this is indeed the problem)?

Try to add libCore (or Core) in target_link_libraries

No change. Still the same error

Please provide something we can try

Here is my CMakeLists.txt file at the moment:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0 FATAL_ERROR)
   project(heatsim)

find_package(ROOT 6.16 CONFIG REQUIRED)

include_directories(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include)

include(${ROOT_USE_FILE})
   include_directories(${ROOT_INCLUDE_DIRS} ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR})
   link_directories(${ROOT_LIBRARY_DIR})

add_library(HeatSim)
   root_generate_dictionary(G__HeatSim HeatSim.h MODULE HeatSim LINKDEF HeatSimLinkDef.h)

target_link_libraries(HeatSim PUBLIC ${ROOT_LIBRARIES} Core)

add_executable(HeatSimulation HeatSim.cxx)

Maybe you can spot the new error? Sorry this is taking so long

Or maybe you can try it on your own system?

First of all, G__HeatSim.cxx is missing from add_executable

add_executable(HeatSimulation HeatSim.cxx G__HeatSim.cxx)

And do you have a ClassDef() in your class definition?

1 Like

You need to pass the dictionary and link the libraries to your executable:

target_link_libraries(HeatSimulation Core)

Unrelated, but

add_library(HeatSim)

does not seem to do anything.

1 Like

Okay, I have done this but am still getting the error.

when I remove that line the cmake . command fails.

Ahh never mind, when I do this

target_link_libraries(HeatSimulation Core)

The initial error goes away, however, I then get this one which is more specific to what I am doing:

[ 14%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o
[ 28%] Linking CXX executable HeatSimulation
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `TVector3::TVector3(double, double, double)':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text._ZN8TVector3C2Eddd[_ZN8TVector3C5Eddd]+0x2e): undefined reference to `vtable for TVector3'
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/build.make:112: HeatSimulation] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:80: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/all] Error 2

For refrence, here is my HeatSim.cxx file:

#include <iostream>

#include "HeatSim.h"
#include "TVector3.h"

int main() {

TVector3 *test = new TVector3(1, 2, 3);

std::cout << test->X() << std::endl;

return 0;
}

Okay, I fixed it by simply adding Physics to target_link_libraries . It’s working now! Thank you both for your help!! Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

@eguiraud @bellenot terribly sorry to bother you again, but when I try to create a TGraph or a TCanvas I get something like this:

/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/HeatSim.cxx.o: in function `main':
HeatSim.cxx:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `TCanvas::TCanvas(char const*, char const*, int, int)'
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/HeatSimulation.dir/build.make:112: HeatSimulation] Error 1

How can I fix this?
I have imported TPad.h and TCanvas.h in the header file

EDIT: I fixed it. Forgot to import Gpad

undefined reference to.. is not a missing #include, it’s a missing linked library. In this case, you need Gpad I think.

1 Like

Yes, I did this and I am getting no errors now. Is there a way to make the TCanvas appear in a window? Like when running a normal ROOT project?

See e.g. Standalone C program runs without error but doesn't display histogram

Okay. Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice weekend! @eguiraud @bellenot

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.