Error when building root 6.30/02 on Ubuntu 22.04.3

In theory you’d just apt remove *package name* and then follow up with sudo apt-build-essential, the challenge is identifying all the packages you’ve installed that are GCC9 related to remove them.

Debian/Ubuntu has a complex setup where multiple packages can coexist so it might be enough to just install build-essential directly and it might replace GCC9 with GCC11 as default but most of the time builds work better when done in virtual machines or container environments to help trivialise swapping things out like this and lowers the complexity of managing potentially incompatible build tools.

1 Like

Cool. Moved back to gcc11, and I’ll go back through the building from source steps and report back.

Well gcc11 certainly help; moved past 77% up to 90% where it gave a pretty weird error:

[ 90%] Building CXX object gui/gui/CMakeFiles/Gui.dir/src/TRootDialog.cxx.o
[ 90%] Building CXX object gui/gui/CMakeFiles/Gui.dir/src/TRootEmbeddedCanvas.cxx.o
[ 90%] Building CXX object gui/gui/CMakeFiles/Gui.dir/src/TRootGuiFactory.cxx.o
[ 90%] Building CXX object gui/gui/CMakeFiles/Gui.dir/src/TRootHelpDialog.cxx.o
[ 90%] Building CXX object gui/gui/CMakeFiles/Gui.dir/src/TVirtualDragManager.cxx.o
[ 90%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libGui.so
[ 90%] Built target Gui
gmake: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

Thanks for everyone’s help so far, it’s much appreciated.

EDIT
Sorry, looks like I made a typo in my path declarations. Root is now working wonderfully. Thanks again everyone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.