Dreams of ROOT6 & RHEL6

Hi,

At CHEP, I heard from several people that it is possible to build ROOT6 on RHEL6, which would be great as my institution still has most interactive Linux nodes running this OS. And our batch farm nodes use this as well.

I have tried to get this working in the past with a devtoolset but it failed mysteriously during the build, and a ROOT expert told me that ROOT6 is not compatible with the devtoolset environments.

So I’m wondering, is it possible to build ROOT6 on RHEL6, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

I know you cannot build using the default gcc as it is too old and does not support C+±11.

Thanks!

–Jeremy

You may try to install e.g. gcc4.9 as explained here:
unix.stackexchange.com/a/265321

And then follow something like this (skip first section):

RedHat (and by extension CentOS/SL) supply a Software Collection (set of rpms) called “devtoolset” which supplies newer GCC/binutils and a range of other useful development/debugging tools. The main guide and install instructions are here:

access.redhat.com/documentation … r-toolset/

Version 4 supplies GCC 5.2/5.3 and the upcoming Version 6 supplies GCC 6

For CentOS, there’s a page with install instructions here:

wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResou … tories/SCL

and also on the main “softwarecollections” site here:

softwarecollections.org/en/ … toolset-4/

On SL, at least for the CERN flavour, there’s a page here:

linux.web.cern.ch/linux/scientif … ions.shtml

Whilst installing rpms will require root privileges, the above repos are official and maintained, so it shouldn’t be an issue to get the sysadmins to install them!

sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-6207

Thanks for the multiple replies and the JIRA link (I had seen that one before).

I’m try to figure out what is the difference between using a devtoolset and “installing a full/proper GCC”.

Do the devtoolsets not provide the full environment that is needed for the compilation/linking?

[quote=“ferhue”]You may try to install e.g. gcc4.9 as explained here:

https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-6-build-from-source-error-gcc-4-7-2/20561/6[/quote]

Thank you. This is extremely useful, and I’m going to try this approach of building and using my own GCC (prob 4.8.5).

[quote=“ferhue”]You may try to install e.g. gcc4.9 as explained here:

https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-6-build-from-source-error-gcc-4-7-2/20561/6[/quote]

So building using my own gcc seems to work! Thanks for the help. I marked your post as the solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like