Cxx14 flag when compiling ROOT with clang 3.4.2

Dear ROOTers,

I recently updated my ROOT5 and ROOT6 versions to 5.34.32 and 6.02.12 respectively and I noticed that now the ‘‘configure’’ options include also the flag cxx14, provided that your compiler supports it.

Apparently my ‘‘configure’’:

./configure --all --with-clang --enable-cxx14 --enable-soversion --fail-on-missing |& tee configure.output

thinks that my system (cern centos 7.1 linux x86_64) supports c++14, and in fact clang should support it as version 3.4

However ‘‘make’’ encounters at least the following error (I also attached the full output):

[...]
clang++ -O2 -DNDEBUG -pipe -m64 -std=c++1y -Wshadow -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude  -Wno-deprecated-declarations -pthread -DINCLUDEDIR=\"/usr/include\" -DOBJSUFFIX=\".o\" -o build/rmkdepend/mainroot.o -c /tmp/malfonsi/ROOT6/root-6.02.12/build/rmkdepend/mainroot.cxx
In file included from /tmp/malfonsi/ROOT6/root-6.02.12/build/rmkdepend/mainroot.cxx:28:
In file included from /usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/../../../../include/c++/4.8.3/string:52:
In file included from /usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/../../../../include/c++/4.8.3/bits/basic_string.h:2815:
In file included from /usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/../../../../include/c++/4.8.3/ext/string_conversions.h:43:
/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/../../../../include/c++/4.8.3/cstdio:120:11: error: no member named 'gets' in the global namespace
  using ::gets;
        ~~^
1 error generated.
[...]

As far as I remember gets() was deprecated some time ago and maybe it is now completely removed from the std.
I am not sure if this error means that clang on linux is still using libstdc.so from GNU gcc and this is not yet fully compliant to c++14…

… anyway is this error easily fixable? Otherwise for the time being I will just stick to c++11…

Thanks a lot,
Matteo
make.output.txt (9.99 KB)
configure.output.txt (7.64 KB)

Hi all,

it seems that this is a problem of CERN Centos 7.1 system, that has not yet the most up-to-date gcc (c libraries are taken from gcc as far as I understand).

It seems that it compiles fine on a Debian 8 system with clang 3.5.0-10 and gcc 4.9

Is there any workaround for my CERN Centos 7.1 or should I rely on Redhat DevToolsets or should I wait for the upgrade?

Thanks,
Matteo

P.S. BTW on this Debian system the script thisroot.csh, as for ROOT version V6.04.00, fails because it looks for the command /usr/sbin/lsof, which, on Debian 8 system, is in /usr/bin/lsof. (Recently added to the script? I guess the infinite quest to have this script callable by other tcsh scripts…). Maybe this is a useful information.

You can try to use gcc4.9. An installation exists in /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/contrib/gcc/4.9.3/x86_64-cc7-gcc49-opt
You can add in the configure command --with-gcc-toolchain=/afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/contrib/gcc/4.9.3/x86_64-cc7-gcc49-opt/bin/gcc
Thanks for reporting the problem with thisroot.csh. We will have a look.

BTW you should start building with CMake because is the method that we plan to maintain long term. If there is any problem we will fix it.

Created ticket sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-7464

Sorry if I come back to this, but is cxx14 really enabled with this configure option?

As I mention in the previous reply, I manage to compile ROOT6 on the Debian 8 system, but I believe that the c++14 extension are not really actived:

root [0] auto adder = [](auto op1, auto op2) { return op1+op2; }
ROOT_prompt_0:1:17: error: 'auto' not allowed in lambda parameter
auto adder = [](auto op1, auto op2) { return op1+op2; }
                ^~~~
ROOT_prompt_0:1:27: error: 'auto' not allowed in lambda parameter
auto adder = [](auto op1, auto op2) { return op1+op2; }
                          ^~~~
root [1] __cplusplus
(long) 201103

root [3] .L prova.cc++
Info in <TUnixSystem::ACLiC>: creating shared library /fs01/ma09/homes/malfonsi/./prova_cc.so
In file included from input_line_12:9:
/fs01/ma09/homes/malfonsi/./prova.cc:4:1: error: 'auto' return without trailing return type; deduced return types are a
      C++14 extension
auto testfeatureuniqueptr()
^
/fs01/ma09/homes/malfonsi/./prova.cc:6:15: error: no member named 'make_unique' in namespace 'std'
  return std::make_unique<int>();
         ~~~~~^
/fs01/ma09/homes/malfonsi/./prova.cc:6:30: error: expected '(' for function-style cast or type construction
                          ~~~^
/fs01/ma09/homes/malfonsi/./prova.cc:6:32: error: expected expression
                               ^
Error in <ACLiC>: Dictionary generation failed!

where the code in “prova.cc” is just:

#include <memory>

auto testfeatureuniqueptr()
{
}

Should I try to install ROOT6 with CMake ?

Thanks again,
Matteo

The option, --enable-cxx14 tells to build ROOT itself with c++14. You case is using ACLiC. So, the question is should ROOT pass the -std=c++14 flag to the ACLiC compilation? The answer is probably yes. So, I will have a look why it is not the case.

Yes, please try with CMake. The equivalent option is -Dcxx14=ON

Committed a fix into master branch.
github.com/root-mirror/root/com … bdbb9559be
Can you please check if the fix will work for you?

Dear Pere,

I “git cloned” the last version of root. The most recent commit at the moment of the test was:

commit 3dbadd0054cee182ac3376a9987493c947007b21
Author: Pere Mato <pere.mato@cern.ch>
Date:   Wed Jul 15 19:00:06 2015 +0200

Fix for ROOT-7478 - Generating PCH fails with CXX flags with spaces

(so more recent than the 6.04.02 tag, while the previous posts concerned downloaded v6.04.00 tag)

The two tests are performed on a Debian 8 system:
Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1 (2015-04-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux

First test: configure + make

./configure --all --with-clang --enable-cxx14 --enable-soversion --fail-on-missing | & tee configure.output

It compiles fine (output attached).
The c++14 extensions become available in the interpret (it was not the case before):

root [0] auto adder = [](auto op1, auto op2) { return op1+op2; }
(class (lambda at ROOT_prompt_0:1:14) &) @0x7faf6e012028
root [1] adder(3,4)
(int) 7
root [2] __cplusplus
(long) 201402
root [3] #include <memory>
root [4] auto p = std::make_unique<std::array<int,5>>()
(class std::unique_ptr<struct std::array<int, 5>, struct std::default_delete<struct std::array<int, 5> > > &) @0x7f211d525028

However, AcLic is still sticking to c++11, as I get exactly the same error messages as in my previous post (please refer to it) when I try to compile the script prova.cc

Second test: cmake + make

$ cmake ../root_to_be_compiled_with_cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR_FOR_ROOT6 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ -DCMAKE_F_COMPILER=gfortran -Droottest=ON -Dcxx14=ON -Dsoversion=ON -Dmathmore=ON -Dfftw3=ON -Dgviz=ON -Dgdml=ON -Dhttp=ON -Dmemstat=ON -Dminuit2=ON -Dopengl=ON -Dpython=ON -Droofit=ON -Dshared=ON -Dtable=ON -Dtmva=ON -Dunuran=ON -Dvc=ON -Dvdt=ON -Dx11=ON -Dxft=ON -Dxml=ON | & tee cmake.output

(if I look at the attached output it does not seem to take gfortran but at the moment I do not care)

In this case the compilation fails complaining for the experimental “string_view” feature that cannot be found.

[ 33%] Generating G__IO.cxx, ../../lib/libRIO.rootmap
In file included from input_line_9:6:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/TStreamerInfoActions.h:17:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/TStreamerInfo.h:26:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/TVirtualStreamerInfo.h:25:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/TNamed.h:29:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/TString.h:41:
In file included from /localscratch/DownloadedSoftware/ROOT/ROOT6/root-6.04.02/root_builddir/include/RStringView.h:24:
In file included from /usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9/../../../../include/c++/4.9/experimental/string_view:39:
/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9/../../../../include/c++/4.9/bits/c++14_warning.h:32:2: error: This file requires compiler and library support for the forthcoming ISO C++ 2014 standard. This support is currently experimental, and must be enabled with the -std=c++1y or -std=gnu++1y compiler options.

Please let me know if you need other tests.

Cheers,
Matteo

of course I forgot the attachments
make_after_configure.output.txt.gz (168 KB)
cmake.output.txt (16.6 KB)
make_after_cmake.output.txt.gz (12 KB)
configure.output.txt (7.37 KB)

Dear Pere,

thx for the fix. Now (commit 76b885b598999bbc811082aa31d933577ba16a04) c++14 extensions are available both in the interpret and with AcLic.

However I succeeded only with the configure+make installation method.

CMake compilation have the same problem as my previous post on this Debian 8 machine, i.e. the fact that the experimental string_view include file is not found where expected.

However I believe that this is a different problem w.r.t. the issue discussed in this thread.

Thanks,
Matteo