Build root dictionaries with visual studio 2005

[quote=“Danmacfry”]Also, is there no easy way to just build a program with the Root dictionaries?? . . .It just seems like a makefile would be a lot easier. .[/quote] Check $ROOTSYS/test/Makefile.win32
Try:

cd $ROOTSYS/test nmake -f Makefile.win32

I’m working on a windows XP SP2 machine, and i’m running root in MS DOS, not Cygwin. I’m not familiar with the nmake command?? It doesn’t work if i just type it? Is it something I have to download for my computer??

So i tried cleaning the dictionary files, rebuilding, and get a new error. I’m trying to just follow the procedure on Gentit’s page. Is there really not an easier way to compile stuff with root on a Windows machine without Cygwin?? Should I just use Cygwin? VC++ 7.0 seems tedious thus far. Then again, I am new at all of this, and could just be doign dumb things.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: muster, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Deleting intermediate and output files for project ‘muster’, configuration 'Debug|Win32’
Building ROOT Dictionary
Compiling…
main.cpp
TMuster.cpp
TMusterdict.cpp
Generating Code…
Compiling manifest to resources…
Linking…
LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option ‘/lib/libCore.lib’; ignored
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\root.obj’
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Daniel McDonald\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\muster\muster\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
muster - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

This means you have no :bulb: VC++ environment variables set for that “Command Prompt”
Look for “Visual Studio Command prompt” icon and start from there
or invoke the batch file:

%comspec% /k ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat"" x86 to set that variables properly. The same thing one faces under any Unix, namely, one has to set the environment variables to proceed (normally, with some shell script).

Hi,

Standalone, without cygwin, no. But you mentioned a few posts up that you’d prefer to write a (GNU) Makefile. Well - you can! And use cygwin’s GNU make to build it. That’s how we build ROOT itself.

[quote=“Danmacfry”]Linking…
LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option ‘/lib/libCore.lib’; ignored
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘C:\root.obj’[/quote]
Maybe the environment variable ROOTSYS is not set. Or there’s a directory name problem within the project. You’d have to look at c:\Documents and Settings\Daniel McDonald\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\muster\muster\Debug\BuildLog.htm to get some hints on why that happened. Maybe it’s just because the project is in a dir with spaces (Documents and Settings.…)

You do know about ROOT’s ACLiC, right? That will take care of the build: the flags, the dependencies, the dictionary, the paths - everything. You just say “.L MyGUI.C+” and it works (as long as it can find the compiler cl in the PATH). And it’s platform independent. And it’s explained in the user’s guide.

Cheers, Axel.

Hmm. :unamused: The original title of the thread was “build root dictionaries with visual studio 2005”. Are we really discussing the “Visual Studio 2005 installation” :confused: ? Missing “nmake” and the presence of “link” at the same time suggests the “Studio” was not installed properly ?