Appending to file opened in UPDATE mode corrupts file

The lack of TFileMerger documentation makes using the class problematic. I tried it, and it appears to execute:

G4String workfile = "work_" + filename;

// Rename the output file to the temporary work file name.                                                                      
  gSystem->Rename(filename,workfile);

TFileMerger* merger = new TFileMerger(kFALSE);
  merger->AddFile(workfile);
  merger->OutputFile(filename);
  merger->Merge();

// Remove the work file; it just wastes disk space at this point.                                                               
  gSystem->Unlink(workfile);

The status message appears in the program output:

[TFile::Cp] Total 5.09 MB	|====================| 100.00 % [146.4 MB/s]

But all the ntuples in the output file are now corrupted:

root [0] 
Attaching file gramsg4.root as _file0...
(TFile *) 0x5632e50c04b0
root [1] TrackInfo->Scan()
Error in <TBufferFile::ReadClassBuffer>: Could not find the StreamerInfo for version 5 of the class TTree, object skipped at offset 77
Error in <TBufferFile::CheckByteCount>: object of class TTree read too few bytes: 2 instead of 9348

There’s probably some enum or boolean I have to set somewhere, but it’s not clear what it should be.

A practical use can be found at ROOT: main/src/hadd.cxx Source File

Try

merger->Merge(TFileMerger::kIncremental | TFileMerger::kAll);

Cheers,
Philippe

Same error.

From my perspective, the source code of hadd is a mass of uncommented code. It must somehow do what I want it to do, since just using hadd gives the results I want, but I can’t even tell what the default options to TFileMerger are supposed to be.

I guessed an answer that worked:

G4String workfile = "work_" + filename;
  // Rename the output file to the temporary work file name.                                                                      
  gSystem->Rename(filename,workfile);

TFileMerger* merger = new TFileMerger(kFALSE,kFALSE);
  auto input = TFile::Open(workfile);
  auto compression = input->GetCompressionSettings();
  merger->AddFile(input);
  merger->OutputFile(filename,"RECREATE",compression);
  merger->Merge();
  gSystem->Unlink(workfile);

It was setting the compression settings of the output file to be the same as the input file.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.