64bit SCL5

Hello fellow ROOT users,

We’ve just upgraded from RH4 to RH5.5 and I’m also attempting to move to 64 bit code. Our RH5.5 installation has gcc 4.1.2 installed as the default.

When I run ROOT 5.28.00c 64 bit (from the binary installation) I get a message that says

/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version ‘GLIBCXX_3.4.9’ not found required by … libCore.so

and more of the same messages for different ROOT libraries.

From reading some posts from the past do I understand correctly that the binary installation requires 64 bit libstdc++.so libraries for gcc 3.4, but ROOT itself is built with gcc 4.3?

And if I build from source myself will gcc 4.1.2 work even though it is not one of the two officially supported versions?

I would like to know before I spend time building the libraries or if I need to ask my system admins to install gcc 4.3.

Thank you and best regards,
Terry

Hi,

GLIBCXX_3.4.9 is required by gcc4.3. See for example [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-5-22-on-slc5/7644/1 post[/url] to see how to setup your environment (if you have access to afs).
And yes, you can also build from source with your local gcc4.1 (or any other version), but if you are member of an experiment, this is probably not the way to go (you should ask people from your group)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Thank you for the answer.

I do not have access to the afs cell.

I see, so 3.4.9 is the library version and not the compiler it was compiled with. Too many version numbers :smiley:

Thank you,
Terry