X11 fonts under Kubuntu 12.04

Hi, since some time my X11 (graphical as in TBrowser and the splash screen) are not so readable. I think it was related to the upgrade 10.04->12.04 of Kubuntu and now no TTF or in general scalable fonts are used. This is persistent between different ROOT versions, currently at 5.34/02. Any idea on what could be the problem? Below my root-config --features and my $HOME/.rootrc related entries. Commenting out the Gui.* entries does not seem to have effect. Thanks!

afdsmgrd alien asimage astiff builtin_afterimage builtin_ftgl builtin_freetype builtin_glew builtin_pcre builtin_lzma cintex explicitlink genvector gsl_shared memstat minuit2 monalisa mysql opengl pythia6 python reflex roofit shadowpw shared ssl tmva x11 xft xml xrootd thread

Path where to look for TrueType fonts

Unix..Root.UseTTFonts: true
Unix.
.Root.TTFontPath: $(ROOTSYS)/ttf/fonts

GUI specific settings

Gui.NormalFont: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r---12------iso8859-1
Gui.BoldFont: -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-
--12------iso8859-1
Gui.SmallFont: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r---10------iso8859-1
Gui.ProportionalFont: -adobe-courier-medium-r-
--12------iso8859-1

Hi,

And what happens if you set Unix.*.Root.UseTTFonts to false?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Same. Is there any way to debug this and understand what is actually used? Attached a screenshot in case the fonts are recognisable…

Well, apparently someone had the same kind of issue:
[url]Font problem in TBrowser. Ubuntu 12.04
But I really don’t know how to debug this kind of problem… If it doesn’t work for you, I’ll try to set-up a virtual machine to try to reproduce the problem. Just let me know.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,
following first this

namely the following

sudo apt-get install t1-xfree86-nonfree ttf-xfree86-nonfree ttf-xfree86-nonfree-syriac xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi xfs xfstt libXft-dev libXext-dev python python-dev gcc g++ make binutils libx11-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev build-essential

(although most were already installed except t1XXX-nonfree fonts and xfs/xfstt tha I suspect do the trick :wink: )
and a reboot fixed the issue, even with my original .rootrc (all Gui* and TTF* entries commented out ie defaulted)

Could we then safely assume that the reason is that xfs/xft is not used by default in Kubuntu in favor of xft2 or something equivalent? Dario should know :wink:
filimon