Runtime error: cling on macosx yosemite 10.10

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Please forgive me in advance if this is a silly question.

I installed the binary of cling on OS X yosemite and when I run it I get the output below. I also tried compiling cling from git and get the same output. Can anyone please help?

Alessandros-Mac-mini:cling alessandro$ bin/cling

****************** CLING ******************

• Type C++ code and press enter to run it *
  •         Type .q to exit             *

[cling]$ int a = 10
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol ‘_ZN5cling7runtime8internal15setValueNoAllocEPvS2_S2_S2_y’ unresolved while linking function’_Z15__cling_Un1Qu30Pv’!
[cling]$

Hi,

Not a silly question at all :slight_smile: But I cannot reproduce that. I built with clang --version Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.56) i.e. XCode 6.1.1 and do not see the problem you report. Let me know the details of which compiler you use and how you configure.

Cheers, Axel.

I use the same version:
Alessandros-Mac-mini:~ alessandro$ clang --version
Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.56) (based on LLVM 3.5svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0
Thread model: posix
Alessandros-Mac-mini:~ alessandro$

I follow the instructions here:
root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cli … structions

I use the following configure within the src directory:
./configure --enable-cxx11 --enable-optimized --disable-assertions --prefix=/Applications/YDS.app/Contents/Tools/cling

Notice that I get the error even when just installing the binary from here:
ecsft.cern.ch/dist/cling/current/

curious, works when building with this script:

raw.github.com/karies/cling-all … r/clone.sh

I am trying to change the configure options in it and will let you know

I tweaked the script with my configure options as earlier.

Removing --enable-optimized removes the error.

Adding --disable-assertions and changing --prefix do not make any difference.

However --enable-optimized is what allows llvm/clang to be built in release mode which is much faster than debug mode.

Is there anything that can be done to get a release build working?

Hi,

Thanks for finding out! I’ll have a look next week! (Please ping me if you haven’t heard from me by Thursday.)

Axel.

I also get the same issue described here even on the debug build:
[.L command doesn't work on mac os x 10.9.2?

Here is a youtube video where it was shown it working on OS X:
youtube.com/watch?v=eoIuqLNvzFs

Looks like Apple has changed things low level in OS X. Several packages that used to compile and work out of the box do not anymore…

Thanks,
A

any news?

Hi,

yes news but not the right kind:

I have updated cling to use a new JIT engine, hoping that it might also address the missing symbol issue as a byproduct. Alas it now fails even for our nightly builds and all my efforts to reproduce this have failed so far.

I’ll try to reproduce your config findings next - tomorrow afternoon if things go according to plan!

Cheers, Axel.

Hi,

Okay - should be fixed. Can you confirm? You could e.g. download the binaries from ecsft.cern.ch/dist/cling/current/

Thanks for your report and your persistence! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Axel.

The first one is fixed thanks :slight_smile:

How about loading frameworks? It is pretty crucial on OS X . Is there a quick patch (like for example looking in the path for a directory with path extension “.framework”) ?

Thanks,
A

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation!

Let’s continue the framework discussion at root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.p … 264#p82264 - this has nothing to do with the thread here…

Axel.

I’m also trying to find out how to load frameworks on macOS. I’ve created a post as well cause I couldn’t find anything else.

Please don’t revive 2 years old posts but open a new one. In that new topic, could you please state what you’re trying to do and how it fails? Thanks!