Root 6.10/02 build on ubuntu

I’m trying to build root on my computer, but the build fails with following errors. I tried to update libc6and also glibcc through conda but it didn’t help.

Generating G__Proof.cxx, ../../lib/libProof_rdict.pcm, ../../lib/libProof.rootmap
/home/user/Downloads/build_root/bin/rootcling/home/user/Downloads/build_root/bin/rootcling: : /home/user/anaconda2/lib/libstdc++.so.6/home/user/anaconda2/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/user/Downloads/build_root/lib/libRIO.so): 
version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/user/Downloads/build_root/lib/libRIO.so)
tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/build.make:72: recipe for target 'tmva/pymva/G__PyMVA.cxx' failed
proof/proof/CMakeFiles/G__Proof.dir/build.make:122: recipe for target 'proof/proof/G__Proof.cxx' failed
make[2]: *** [tmva/pymva/G__PyMVA.cxx] Error 1
make[2]: *** [proof/proof/G__Proof.cxx] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:23787: recipe for target 'tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:20957: recipe for target 'proof/proof/CMakeFiles/G__Proof.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [proof/proof/CMakeFiles/G__Proof.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

The error you see above most likely points to a problem with your system’s configuration. You are compiling against libc from a non-standard location, but rootcling is not finding the library it needs to load, which makes it crash. You have to make sure that your library paths find the correct version of glibc first at runtime. Since the path to the library is appearing twice in the error message, it could be a problem with CMake and bad interpretation of multiple paths separated by semicolons or a similar issue.

i think the error appears twice because I used the multicore option, without it there is a single error.

So how do I solve this? where is the right gcc?

I think you didn’t understand what I meant. The library it’s looking for is /home/user/anaconda2/lib/libstdc++.so.6/home/user/anaconda2/lib/libstdc++.so.6,
which contains the path twice. That is why it is not finding it. You need to make sure the path appears only once.

i’m not sure, this is the error when I run on a single core:

Generating G__PyMVA.cxx, ../../lib/libPyMVA_rdict.pcm, ../../lib/libPyMVA.rootmap
/home/user/Downloads/build_root/bin/rootcling: /home/user/anaconda2/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/user/Downloads/build_root/lib/libRIO.so)
tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/build.make:72: recipe for target 'tmva/pymva/G__PyMVA.cxx' failed
make[2]: *** [tmva/pymva/G__PyMVA.cxx] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:23787: recipe for target 'tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [tmva/pymva/CMakeFiles/G__PyMVA.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

That is quite strange, but still probably has nothing to do with single core vs multi core. Either the library is not found at the path listed in the error message, or it is found, but is incompatible (different version that what rootcling requires). Looking again at the error message, I see that this is not about glibc, but about libstdc++, so you probably have a mismatch between GCC and clang. How are you configuring ROOT with CMake? What compiler are you using? You may be using a compiler from outside the anaconda installation and that compiler is not compatible with the libraries installed there. If you can, please move to using the master branch, as you could be hitting some compatibility problems that were solved by the latest LLVM upgrade, as mentioned in this other post.

I just followed the instructions here and didn’t change anything. I’m probably using gcc as compiler, it’s the ubuntu default.

What is the master branch? I download from here and theres only one option.

Hi, @ofirar. If you want to give it a go, you can try my installer script. I’ve only tested it locally on my system,

$ uname -a
Linux mcf-ThinkPad-Edge-E540 4.4.0-83-generic #106-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26 17:54:43 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ conda --version
conda 4.3.22
$ python --version
Python 3.5.3 :: Anaconda custom (64-bit)

but I’d be interested if it works for you, and if not, it would be interesting to see your errors as an Issue on GitHub.

Try cloning or downloading from https://github.com/root-project/root, then you will get the latest version. The 6.10.02 does not have the latest LLVM upgrade that I mentioned above, unfortunately.

@amadio @feickert
The script seemed to install ROOT successfully, but running ROOT ends in segmentation fault with this error:

error: unable to read PCH file /home/user/root_build/etc/allDict.cxx.pch: 'No such file
      or directory'
fatal error: PCH file '/home/user/root_build/etc/allDict.cxx.pch' not found: module file not
      found

*** Break *** segmentation violation
===========================================================
There was a crash.
This is the entire stack trace of all threads:
#0  0x00007f889290108a in __GI___waitpid (pid=2983, stat_loc=stat_loc
entry=0x7ffc97fbcec0, options=options
entry=0) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/waitpid.c:29
#1  0x00007f88928792fb in do_system (line=<optimized out>) at ../sysdeps/posix/system.c:148
#2  0x00007f889347b4b8 in TUnixSystem::Exec (shellcmd=<optimized out>, this=0x55a8698084f0) at /home/user/root_src/core/unix/src/TUnixSystem.cxx:2118
#3  TUnixSystem::StackTrace (this=0x55a8698084f0) at /home/user/root_src/core/unix/src/TUnixSystem.cxx:2412
#4  0x00007f889347dadc in TUnixSystem::DispatchSignals (this=0x55a8698084f0, sig=kSigSegmentationViolation) at /home/user/root_src/core/unix/src/TUnixSystem.cxx:3643
#5  <signal handler called>
#6  0x00007f888f33eb52 in clang::Parser::ParseTopLevelDecl(clang::OpaquePtr<clang::DeclGroupRef>&) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#7  0x00007f888e06277c in cling::IncrementalParser::ParseInternal(llvm::StringRef) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#8  0x00007f888e0633cc in cling::IncrementalParser::Compile(llvm::StringRef, cling::CompilationOptions const&) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#9  0x00007f888e003f9e in cling::Interpreter::DeclareInternal(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cling::CompilationOptions const&, cling::Transaction**) const () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#10 0x00007f888e00414e in cling::Interpreter::declare(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cling::Transaction**) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#11 0x00007f888dfa24fc in TCling::TCling (this=0x55a86986e3a0, name=<optimized out>, title=<optimized out>) at /home/user/root_src/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1155
#12 0x00007f888dfa2eee in CreateInterpreter (interpLibHandle=<optimized out>) at /home/user/root_src/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:596
#13 0x00007f88932ead44 in TROOT::InitInterpreter (this=0x7f889376aa60 <ROOT::Internal::GetROOT1()::alloc>) at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TROOT.cxx:1974
#14 0x00007f88932eb0e6 in ROOT::Internal::GetROOT2 () at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TROOT.cxx:364
#15 0x00007f88933641b5 in TApplication::TApplication (this=0x55a869853b70, appClassName=0x55a867e040f4 "Rint", argc=0x7ffc97fc20dc, argv=0x7ffc97fc21d8, numOptions=0) at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TApplication.cxx:152
#16 0x00007f88937ad2a4 in TRint::TRint (this=0x55a869853b70, appClassName=<optimized out>, argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>, options=<optimized out>, numOptions=<optimized out>, noLogo=false) at /home/user/root_src/core/rint/src/TRint.cxx:146
#17 0x000055a867e03dc0 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7ffc97fc21d8) at /home/user/root_src/main/src/rmain.cxx:27

The lines below might hint at the cause of the crash.
You may get help by asking at the ROOT forum http://root.cern.ch/forum.
Only if you are really convinced it is a bug in ROOT then please submit a
report at http://root.cern.ch/bugs. Please post the ENTIRE stack trace
from above as an attachment in addition to anything else
that might help us fixing this issue.
#6  0x00007f888f33eb52 in clang::Parser::ParseTopLevelDecl(clang::OpaquePtr<clang::DeclGroupRef>&) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#7  0x00007f888e06277c in cling::IncrementalParser::ParseInternal(llvm::StringRef) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#8  0x00007f888e0633cc in cling::IncrementalParser::Compile(llvm::StringRef, cling::CompilationOptions const&) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#9  0x00007f888e003f9e in cling::Interpreter::DeclareInternal(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cling::CompilationOptions const&, cling::Transaction**) const () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#10 0x00007f888e00414e in cling::Interpreter::declare(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cling::Transaction**) () from /home/user/root_build/lib/libCling.so
#11 0x00007f888dfa24fc in TCling::TCling (this=0x55a86986e3a0, name=<optimized out>, title=<optimized out>) at /home/user/root_src/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1155
#12 0x00007f888dfa2eee in CreateInterpreter (interpLibHandle=<optimized out>) at /home/user/root_src/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:596
#13 0x00007f88932ead44 in TROOT::InitInterpreter (this=0x7f889376aa60 <ROOT::Internal::GetROOT1()::alloc>) at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TROOT.cxx:1974
#14 0x00007f88932eb0e6 in ROOT::Internal::GetROOT2 () at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TROOT.cxx:364
#15 0x00007f88933641b5 in TApplication::TApplication (this=0x55a869853b70, appClassName=0x55a867e040f4 "Rint", argc=0x7ffc97fc20dc, argv=0x7ffc97fc21d8, numOptions=0) at /home/user/root_src/core/base/src/TApplication.cxx:152
#16 0x00007f88937ad2a4 in TRint::TRint (this=0x55a869853b70, appClassName=<optimized out>, argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>, options=<optimized out>, numOptions=<optimized out>, noLogo=false) at /home/user/root_src/core/rint/src/TRint.cxx:146
#17 0x000055a867e03dc0 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7ffc97fc21d8) at /home/user/root_src/main/src/rmain.cxx:27

Hi, if you are running it directly from the build directory, please make sure to source $ROOTSYS/bin/thisroot.sh to make sure ROOT knows where to look for libraries and other files. $ROOTSYS in your case is just the build directory, so you could just do

cd /home/user/root_build && source bin/thisroot.sh

Let us know if you still have problems after that.

@feickert
you mean like in step 7 of your script? the error above appeared after I have done so.
I checked and I don’t have the file /home/user/root_build/etc/allDict.cxx.pch. should I run the script again?

I’m not sure what you mean by step 7. If you don’t have the allDict.cxx.pch file, then ROOT didn’t finish to build successfully. Please try running make again and report the error from that command here.

I meant step 7 in @feickert 's script.

when i run cmake on the root source i get this -

cmake ../root_src
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 6.2.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 6.2.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Looking for a Fortran compiler
-- Looking for a Fortran compiler - /usr/bin/f95
-- The Fortran compiler identification is GNU 6.2.0
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/bin/f95
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/bin/f95  -- works
-- Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info
-- Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info - done
-- Checking whether /usr/bin/f95 supports Fortran 90
-- Checking whether /usr/bin/f95 supports Fortran 90 -- yes
-- Found GCC. Major version 6, minor version 2
-- Performing Test HAS_CXX11
-- Performing Test HAS_CXX11 - Success
-- Looking for pthread.h
-- Looking for pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE  
-- Found a 64bit system
-- Found GNU compiler collection
-- Performing Test GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI
-- Performing Test GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI - Success
-- ROOT Platform: linux
-- ROOT Architecture: linuxx8664gcc
-- Build Type: RelWithDebInfo
-- Compiler Flags:  -pipe -m64  -Wshadow -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fPIC -pthread -std=c++11 -O2 -g -DNDEBUG
-- Looking for ZLib
-- Found ZLIB: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libz.so (found version "1.2.8") 
-- Looking for Unuran
-- Could NOT find UNURAN (missing:  UNURAN_LIBRARY UNURAN_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- Unuran not found. Switching on builtin_unuran option
-- Looking for Freetype
-- Found Freetype: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libfreetype.so  
-- Looking for PCRE
-- Found PCRE: //home/user/anaconda2/include  
-- Looking for LZMA
-- Found LZMA includes at //home/user/anaconda2/include
-- Found LZMA library at //home/user/anaconda2/lib/liblzma.so
-- Looking for LZ4
-- LZ4 not found. Switching on builtin_lz4 option
-- Building LZ4 version v1.7.5 included in ROOT itself
-- Looking for X11
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so - found
-- Looking for gethostbyname
-- Looking for gethostbyname - found
-- Looking for connect
-- Looking for connect - found
-- Looking for remove
-- Looking for remove - found
-- Looking for shmat
-- Looking for shmat - found
-- Found X11: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so
-- X11_INCLUDE_DIR: /usr/include
-- X11_LIBRARIES: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
-- X11_Xpm_INCLUDE_PATH: /usr/include
-- X11_Xpm_LIB: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXpm.so
-- X11_Xft_INCLUDE_PATH: /usr/include
-- X11_Xft_LIB: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXft.so
-- X11_Xext_INCLUDE_PATH: 
-- X11_Xext_LIB: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
-- Could NOT find GIF (missing:  GIF_LIBRARY GIF_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- Found TIFF: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libtiff.so (found version "4.0.6") 
-- Found PNG: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libpng.so (found version "1.6.27") 
-- Found JPEG: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libjpeg.so  
-- Building AfterImage library included in ROOT itself
-- Looking for GSL
-- Found GSL: /usr/include (found suitable version "2.1", minimum required is "1.10") 
-- Looking for Python
-- Found PythonInterp: //home/user/anaconda2/bin/python (found version "2.7.13") 
-- Found Python interpreter version 2.7
-- Found PythonLibs: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/libpython2.7.so (found version "2.7.13") 
-- Found NUMPY: //home/user/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include (found version "1.12.1") 
-- Looking for OpenGL
-- Found OpenGL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so  
-- Looking for gl2ps
-- Could NOT find GL2PS (missing:  GL2PS_LIBRARY GL2PS_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- gl2ps not found. Switching on builtin_gl2ps option
-- Looking for Graphviz
-- Found GRAPHVIZ: /usr/include  
-- Looking for Bonjour
-- Checking whether Bonjour/Avahi is supported
-- Looking for Kerberos 5
-- Found KRB5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so  
-- Looking for LibXml2
-- Found LibXml2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so (found version "2.9.4") 
-- Looking for OpenSSL
-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so (found version "1.0.2g") 
-- Looking for Castor
-- Could NOT find CASTOR (missing:  CASTOR_shift_LIBRARY CASTOR_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- Castor not found. Switching off castor option
-- Looking for RFIO
-- Could NOT find CASTOR (missing:  CASTOR_shift_LIBRARY CASTOR_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- Castor or DPM not found. Switching off rfio option
-- Looking for MySQL
-- Found MYSQL: /usr/include/mysql  
-- Looking for Oracle
-- Oracle not found.
-- Oracle: You can specify includes: -DORACLE_PATH_INCLUDES=/usr/include/oracle/10.2.0.3/client
--    currently found includes: 
-- Oracle: You can specify libs: -DORACLE_PATH_LIB=/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.3/client/lib
--    currently found libs: ORACLE_LIBRARY_OCCI-NOTFOUND;ORACLE_LIBRARY_CLNTSH-NOTFOUND;ORACLE_LIBRARY_LNNZ-NOTFOUND
-- Oracle not found. Switching off oracle option
-- Looking for ODBC
-- Found ODBC: //home/user/anaconda2/include  
-- Looking for PostgreSQL
-- Could NOT find PostgreSQL (missing:  POSTGRESQL_INCLUDE_DIR POSTGRESQL_LIBRARY) 
-- PostgreSQL not found. Switching off pgsql option
-- Looking for SQLite
-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.1") 
-- Found Sqlite: //home/user/anaconda2/include  
-- Looking for Pythia6
-- Pythia6 not found. Switching off pythia6 option
-- Looking for Pythia8
-- Could NOT find Pythia8 (missing:  PYTHIA8_INCLUDE_DIR PYTHIA8_LIBRARY) 
-- Pythia8 not found. Switching off pythia8 option
-- Looking for FFTW3
-- Found fftw3 includes at /usr/include
-- Found fftw3 library at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3.so
-- Looking for CFITSIO
-- Found CFITSIO: /usr/include  
-- Found CFITSIO version: 3.38
-- Monalisa not found. Set variable MONALISA_DIR to point to your Monalisa installation
-- For the time being switching OFF 'monalisa' option
-- Looking for XROOTD
-- XROOTD not found. Set environment variable XRDSYS to point to your XROOTD installation
--                   Alternatively, you can also enable the option 'builtin_xrootd' to build XROOTD internally
--                   For the time being switching OFF 'xrootd' option
-- Could NOT find GFAL (missing:  GFAL_INCLUDE_DIR SRM_IFCE_INCLUDE_DIR GFAL_LIBRARY) 
-- GFAL library not found. Set variable GFAL_DIR to point to your gfal installation
                      and the variable SRM_IFCE_DIR to the srm_ifce installation
-- For the time being switching OFF 'gfal' option
-- Could NOT find DCAP (missing:  DCAP_INCLUDE_DIR DCAP_LIBRARY) 
-- dCap library not found. Set variable DCAP_DIR to point to your dCache installation
-- For the time being switching OFF 'dcache' option
-- Found LDAP: /usr/include  
-- Could NOT find CHIRP (missing:  CHIRP_INCLUDE_DIR CHIRP_LIBRARY) 
-- chirp library not found. Set variable CHIRP_DIR to point to your chirp installation
-- For the time being switching OFF 'chirp' option
-- Could NOT find HDFS (missing:  HDFS_INCLUDE_DIR HDFS_LIBRARY) 
-- hdfs library not found. Set variable HDFS_DIR to point to your hdfs installation
-- For the time being switching OFF 'hdfs' option
-- Looking for DAVIX
-- Could NOT find DAVIX (missing:  DAVIX_INCLUDE_DIR DAVIX_LIBRARY) 
-- Davix not found. You can enable the option 'builtin_davix' to build the library internally'
--                  For the time being switching off 'davix' option
-- Looking for TBB
-- Could NOT find TBB (missing:  TBB_ROOT_DIR TBB_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- TBB not found. Switching on builtin_tbb option
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_mno_rtm
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_mno_rtm - Success
-- Looking for BLAS for optional parts of TMVA
-- Looking for Fortran sgemm
-- Looking for Fortran sgemm - found
-- A library with BLAS API found.
-- >>> Option 'glite' not implemented yet! Signal your urgency to pere.mato@cern.ch
-- >>> Option 'sapdb' not implemented yet! Signal your urgency to pere.mato@cern.ch
-- >>> Option 'srp' not implemented yet! Signal your urgency to pere.mato@cern.ch
-- Enabled support for:  asimage astiff bonjour builtin_afterimage builtin_ftgl builtin_gl2ps builtin_glew builtin_llvm builtin_lz4 builtin_tbb builtin_unuran cling cxx11 exceptions explicitlink fftw3 fitsio fortran genvector gviz imt krb5 ldap mathmore memstat mysql odbc opengl pch python shadowpw shared sqlite ssl thread tmva x11 xft xml
-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU
-- Found assembler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Looking for backtrace
-- Looking for backtrace - found
-- backtrace facility detected in default set of libraries
-- Found Backtrace: /usr/include  
-- Native target architecture is X86
-- Threads disabled.
-- Doxygen disabled.
-- Go bindings disabled.
-- Could NOT find OCaml (missing:  OCAMLFIND OCAML_VERSION OCAML_STDLIB_PATH) 
-- Could NOT find OCaml (missing:  OCAMLFIND OCAML_VERSION OCAML_STDLIB_PATH) 
-- OCaml bindings disabled.
-- LLVM host triple: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
-- LLVM default target triple: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
-- Building with -fPIC
-- Constructing LLVMBuild project information
-- Targeting X86
-- Could NOT find Z3 (missing:  Z3_LIBRARIES Z3_INCLUDE_DIR) (Required is at least version "4.5")
-- Clang version: 5.0.0
-- Cling version (from VERSION file): ROOT_0.5~dev
-- Cling will look for C++ headers in '/usr/include/c++/6:/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/6:/usr/include/c++/6/backward' at runtime.
-- And if not found, will invoke: 'x86_64-linux-gnu-g++-6' for them.
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_maybe_uninitialized
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_maybe_uninitialized - Success
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_fno_rtti
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_fno_rtti - Success
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_strict_overflow
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_strict_overflow - Success
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_maybe_uninitialized
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_maybe_uninitialized - Success
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_parentheses_equality
-- Performing Test C_HAS_Wno_parentheses_equality - Success
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_deprecated_declarations
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_deprecated_declarations - Success
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_fno_strict_aliasing
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_fno_strict_aliasing - Success
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_parentheses_equality
-- Performing Test CXX_HAS_Wno_parentheses_equality - Success
-- Performing Test found_setresuid
-- Performing Test found_setresuid - Success
-- Performing Test found_stdstringview
-- Performing Test found_stdstringview - Failed
-- Performing Test found_stdexpstringview
-- Performing Test found_stdexpstringview - Failed
-- Performing Test found_stdapply
-- Performing Test found_stdapply - Failed
-- Performing Test found_stdinvoke
-- Performing Test found_stdinvoke - Failed
Running /home/user/root_src/build/unix/compiledata.sh
Making /home/user/build_root/include/compiledata.h
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/user/build_root

I am sorry, but this is not a supported method of installing ROOT. Please follow the build instructions on ROOT’s website.

what do you mean? of course it is -

https://root.cern.ch/building-root

What I mean is that we cannot debug third party scripts to instal ROOT, like the one you mention above. You should follow the instructions from the website directly instead. Otherwise it’s difficult for us to know what kind of environment is being setup by the script and which steps were actually run. In your case, for example, the compilation was not successful, since you do not have the full pch file at the end, but the script seems to be hiding that. The message you show above is also only for the configuration step. After that you need to compile everything by typing make on the command line.

what is the point of running make if some of cmake’s tests failed?

Even if CMake doesn’t find everything, you can still compile. Many dependencies are optional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.