ROOT 5.32/00 support

Hi ROOTers,

I moved from v5.18.00/b to 5.32/00. I installed ROOT from binaries and I modified my .bashrc as follows:

export ROOTSYS=/home/manuel/root
export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Then I run root and exectued a macro, this is what I got

root [0] .x test.C(“list.txt”)
dlopen error: libcrypto.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /home/manuel/root/lib/libNet.so
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading dependent library libNet.so for class TTree
dlopen error: libcrypto.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /home/manuel/root/lib/libTree.so
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading library libTree.so for class TTree
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TBranch is available
Error: Function BIT(10) is not defined in current scope /home/manuel/root/include/TBranch.h:52:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***

How can I fix this? Is there something wrong in the modifying .bashrc or are there any libraries I have to install?

Best regards.

Manuel

Sorry, I forgot to say I installed ROOT on Ubuntu 10.04

Manuel

Recompile ROOT following my initial post in: [url]Installing ROOT from Source

Thank you for your help.
Now I have two questions, just for curiosity’s sake:

1. I noticed that a single root file is opened with the previous version if I double-click on it, but with the current one if I launch it from command line. Why?
  2. Generally speaking, is it possible to use the previous version, if I would ?

Thank you again

Manuel

On your Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) machine, you should be able to install the system’s default ROOT binary distribution:

1. start the “System” -> “Administration” -> “Synaptic Package Manager”
  2. in the “Quick search” field type “cern root”
  3. select all (Ctrl-A) found packages and mark them for installation (Right-Mouse-Button), accepting all additional required dependencies
  4. “unmark” any unnecessary ROOT packages (e.g. the “root-system-[x]rootd”)
  5. click the “Apply” button (installs all marked packages)
  6. if you installed ROOT packages and the installed ROOT version is 5.18 …
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/root/5.18:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  7. enjoy

Hi Pepe,

I don’t think it is necessary, since v5.18 is still on my system (contrary to what I supposed) and I can run it from my Application menu.
Instead I find strange what I exposed in the first of my questions.

Thanks again

[quote]Instead I find strange what I exposed in the first of my questions.[/quote]Most likely because the double click action is still associated with the old version of ROOT (I do not use Ubuntu, so can be more specific on how to change the association).

Philippe.

If I were you, i would “completely remove” all standard Ubuntu’s ROOT packages and install a new ROOT version according to my “prescription”.

What concerns “default GUI actions”, they are defined in the “root.mimes” file, residing either in the “–etcdir=…” subdirectory (defaults to “/etc/root”) or in the “${ROOTSYS}/etc” subdirectory, which depends on how ROOT was built. Try:
root-config --etcdir/root.mimes
Note: you do not need to modify this system-wide “root.mimes” file, you can simply create your own (copy the original file and then modify it as you like):
$(HOME)/.root.mimes

I believe you have an “/etc/root” subdirectory coming from the standard Ubuntu’s ROOT 5.18.00 (files in there may interfere with your new ROOT installation): http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/root-system-common/filelist

See also … [url]Histograms in TBrowser?

I’m having the same issues as manuel2. Here is my current error message:

Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /usr/root/lib/libNet.so
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading dependent library libNet.so for class TTree
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /usr/root/lib/libTree.so
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading library libTree.so for class TTree
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TTree is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TVirtualIndex is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TBranchRef is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TBranch is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TLeafI is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TLeaf is available
Warning in TClass::TClass: no dictionary for class TLeafD is available

Here is are all the actions that have lead me to this point:

Running Ubuntu 10.04
Installed ROOT 5.18 using synaptic (ran successfully)
Downloaded ROOT 5.32.03 binaries
unpacked them in usr/ directory
changed ~/.bashrc
cd /usr/root/bin
. thisroot.sh
ROOT 5.32.03 runs
flopen error libtiff.3 missing
fix problem by linking libtiff.4 and libtiff.3
current problem arises
can only find libcrypto.so (not librcypto.so.6) in usr libraries
here I am
Now, I suppose I could try downloading the source files and installing it according to your prescriptions, but is there a quicker route I could take instead?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Do you still have this problem (with ROOT v5.34)?

Philippe.

No, I have reinstalled root on a new system since then. I don’t recall any problems.