No graphical output

Not sure what I’m checking for here. But it was a fresh install, and this is the result:

-rw-r–r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 84M Jun 9 16:47 allDict.cxx.pch
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 906 Mar 3 09:36 class.rules
drwxrwxr-x 6 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:31 cling/
drwxrwxr-x 2 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 cmake/
drwxrwxr-x 2 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 daemons/
drwxrwxr-x 22 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 dictpch/
-rwxrwxr-x 1 hesketh hesketh 7.5K Mar 3 09:36 gdb-backtrace.sh*
-rw-r–r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 57 Mar 3 09:59 gitinfo.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 7.6K Mar 3 09:36 helgrind-root.supp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 6.4K Mar 3 09:36 HistFactorySchema.dtd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 1.7K Mar 3 09:36 hostcert.conf
drwxrwxr-x 2 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 html/
drwxrwxr-x 6 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 http/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 11K Mar 3 09:36 Makefile.arch
drwxrwxr-x 4 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:31 notebook/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 365K Mar 3 09:36 pdg_table.txt
drwxrwxr-x 59 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:31 plugins/
drwxrwxr-x 4 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 proof/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 812K Mar 3 09:36 RadioNuclides.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 303 Mar 3 09:36 root.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 7.8K Jun 9 16:34 root.mimes
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 13K Mar 3 09:36 system.plugins-ios
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 13K Jun 9 16:33 system.rootauthrc
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 4.2K Jun 9 16:33 system.rootdaemonrc
-rw-r–r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 33K Jun 9 16:34 system.rootrc
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 297 Mar 3 09:36 valgrind-root-python.supp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hesketh hesketh 12K Mar 3 09:36 valgrind-root.supp
drwxrwxr-x 2 hesketh hesketh 4.0K Jun 9 16:54 vmc/

Do you get anything, when you try:
dpkg --list “"|grep -i root-system
dpkg --list "
”|grep -i root-plugin
dpkg --list “*”|grep -i libroot

Nothing:
~> dpkg --list “"|grep -i root-system
~> dpkg --list "
”|grep -i root-plugin
~> dpkg --list “*”|grep -i libroot
~>

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]Do you get anything, when you try:
dpkg --list “"|grep -i root-system
dpkg --list "
”|grep -i root-plugin
dpkg --list “*”|grep -i libroot[/quote]

Both 5.34 and 6.04 fail to compile for me. With 6.04 I get this:

root-6.04.16/math/mathmore/src/GSLMultiFit.h:146:38: error: ‘struct gsl_multifit_fdfsolver’ has no member named ‘J’
gsl_multifit_gradient(fSolver->J, fSolver->f,fVec);

with 5.34, the main error seems to be:

#4 0x00007f046360b94a in DefaultErrorHandler (level=, abort_bool=, location=0x7f04636e7553 “TVirtualStreamerInfo::Factory”, msg=0x21236a0 “Cannot find the plugin handler for TVirtualStreamerInfo! However $ROOTSYS/etc/plugins/TVirtualStreamerInfo is accessible, Check the content of this directory!”) at /scratch/HEPsoftware/root-5.34.36/core/base/src/TError.cxx:192

not sure it is worth trying to debug these old versions! How can I get hold of 6.07?

Try: Trouble Installing

ok, I tried v6-07-06, and the v5.34 which is in the kubuntu repositories. No graphical output from either. I definitely configure with x11 support:

– Enabled support for: asimage astiff builtin_afterimage builtin_ftgl builtin_glew builtin_pcre builtin_lzma builtin_llvm cxx11 cling exceptions explicitlink fortran genvector mathmore memstat opengl pch python shadowpw shared thread tmva vdt xft xml x11

and have not had this problem in the past on kubuntu, so either an updated package on my system or something else is causing this problem, but I don’t know how to debug further.

I’ve just tried a complete reinstall of the system, same result: no graphical output. Any more ideas for what to test?
thanks,
Gavin

Execute: [code]sync && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get check && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get upgrade && sync

sudo apt-get install tcsh gawk cmake
sudo apt-get build-dep root-system

sudo apt-get purge root-system* root-plugin* libroot*[/code] then check that the “/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34” and the “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/root5.34” subdirectories disappeared completely and finally follow the “in-place” instructions (make sure that you do not have “${HOME}/.rootrc”, “${HOME}/rootlogon.C”, “${HOME}/rootlogoff.C”, “${HOME}/rootalias.C” files): Trouble Installing

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]Execute: [code]sync && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get check && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get upgrade && sync

sudo apt-get install tcsh gawk cmake
sudo apt-get build-dep root-system

sudo apt-get purge root-system* root-plugin* libroot*[/code] then check that the “/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34” and the “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/root5.34” subdirectories disappeared completely and finally follow the “in-place” instructions (make sure that you do not have “${HOME}/.rootrc”, “${HOME}/rootlogon.C”, “${HOME}/rootlogoff.C”, “${HOME}/rootalias.C” files): https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/trouble-installing/18046/11[/quote]

ok, good - some progress! I ran all the commands (though my system was already up to date and free of root from the repos), unpacked the tarball of v6.06.04, then did an “in place” install:

./configure  --prefix=$INSTALLDIR
make 
make install

Now I do get a TBrowser, TCanvas etc, but get the problem I first had when trying to compile or do anything else, which I understand is to do with gcc v5.3:

root [1] 5*6
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN5cling10printValueEPKi' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of cling::printValue(int const*)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?
(int) Error in ValuePrinter: missing output string.

…which is why I was using cmake in the first place. The cmake command I was using:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 $ROOTDIR make -j 4 make install
means I don’t get the cling library error, but I also don’t get graphics.

Well, not sure what changed, but now it seems to work even with cmake. I moved to 6.6.4 and rearranged the options slightly and now everything is working. Not very satisfying as I didn’t really understand the solution, but I’m happy to accept a working root for now! Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Hi,
I have to revive this thread… I’ve just installed Linux Mint 18 (KDE version if that matters) on a desktop, and have the same issue again. Root v06.06.08 seems to compile with no problems, but I get no graphics

I do:

tar -zxvf root_v6.06.08.source.tar.gz
mkdir test_build ; cd test_build
INSTALLDIR=/scratch/HEPsoftware/local
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 /scratch/HEPsoftware/root-6.06.08

–at this point it seems fine,:
– Enabled support for: asimage astiff builtin_afterimage builtin_ftgl builtin_glew builtin_pcre builtin_lzma builtin_llvm cxx11 cling exceptions explicitlink fortran genvector mathmore memstat opengl pch python shadowpw shared thread tmva vdt xft xml x11

make
make install
root
root [0] new TBrowser
(TBrowser *) 0x1c1b830

and that’s it. No error, and no TBrowser.

I didn’t really solve the problem last time, it just magically went away… so not sure how to proceed with debugging.

thanks,
Gavin

How is it possible that directly after “make install” you were able to run “root”?
You should have needed something like:
source /scratch/HEPsoftware/local/bin/thisroot.sh

Well, is it possible that you have another root version installed somewhere?
If yes, remember that, before you configure and make your new root, nothing in your setup can point to any other existing version (i.e. check PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, …).

Also, check your DISPLAY variable (e.g. try to start an xterm from your terminal in order to make sure that it works).

HI,
yes, sorry, missed that step. After make install I open a new terminal, which calls
. /scratch/HEPsoftware/local/bin/thisroot.sh
through my .bashrc.

I don’t have any other root versions installed, and get eg

which root
/scratch/HEPsoftware/local/bin/root

My path and lib path look fine:

echo $PATH
/scratch/HEPsoftware/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/java/bin:.:/bin:/scratch/folders/laptop
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/scratch/HEPsoftware/local/lib:./lib

Gavin

Try to:
locate root.exe

So, first remove the offending line from your .bashrc, then start a new terminal (so that the “old” root settings are gone) and then build your new root from scratch again (i.e. delete the “test_build” and “root-6.06.08” subdirectories, unpack the source code again, …).

BTW. Add -Dall=“ON” -Dsoversion=“ON” to your cmake line.

Last, but not least … make sure that you read the notes about installing a “system default” ROOT version in a “system default” subdirectory (this applies to your “/scratch/HEPsoftware/local”, as well) : Missing Canvas

ok, removed my .bashrc, cleaned everything out and started again.

locate root.exe
(nothing)

untar, make compilation directory,
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 $ROOTDIR
See output in make_log.txt (765 KB)

then make, make install - see output in cmake_log.txt (9.54 KB)

source thisroot.sh
root
root [0] new TBrowser
(TBrowser *) 0x1f39050

no error, and no TBrowser.

Sorry, somehow I missed the second part of your reply. But adding -Dall=“ON” -Dsoversion=“ON”, eg:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 -Dall=“ON” -Dsoversion=“ON” $ROOTDIR

to a completely clean setup makes no difference. Still no graphics.

I’m not entirely sure how to use the “ROOTSYS” method with cmake. eg if I set
unset ROOTSYS
export ROOTSYS=/scratch/HEPsoftware/local
cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 -Dall=“ON” -Dsoversion=“ON” $ROOTDIR
make
make install
then it tries to install to /usr/local/…

Similarly running configure in the root source directory before running cmake in the build directory has the same result.

What I find really strange about this is that I’m running exactly the same OS on my laptop and root works with no problems.

Make sure that you “unset ROOTSYS” before running cmake.

If you have two machines with the same system, try to compare the “cmake_log.txt” and “make_log.txt” from both of them (i.e. line by line).

BTW. are you sure that you can run/display “xterm” from your desktop machine?

Yes, I can run an xterm with no problem. ok, I’ll have to check my laptop tomorrow.

Morning,
I started with a clean install on my laptop with v06-06-08 in order to compare the cmake & make outputs with my desktop. And now I get no graphics on my laptop either. So at least things are consistent…

Anything else I can check?

Just to update: I solved the problem. For whatever reason, the plugin path was being set incorrectly.
eg in the cmake directory, there is a system.rootrc file which contains:
test-mint18-root-6.06.08/etc/system.rootrc:Unix.*.Root.PluginPath: :/scratch/HEPsoftware/local/etc/root/plugins:
and this file seems to also be copied to the install directory:
/scratch/HEPsoftware/local/etc/system.rootrc

but the plugins are actually installed in /scratch/HEPsoftware/local/etc/plugins (no “root” in the path)

So if I copy the system.rootrc file to my home directory as .rootrc then fix the paths in that file, I finally get graphics.

Gavin