How to get rid of the girandole

Well, all ROOT pages, including all Forum pages, display a fountain on top (blue area with a “detector”).
It actually eats a lot of space so I am wondering if anybody knows any hack to get rid of that girandole.
I’m using Firefox, so it could be an “Adblock Plus” rule, for example.
Thanks in advance.

your screen is that small ? :wink:

Each time I click a forum’s thread (or any other ROOT page), the first thing I need to do is to “scroll down”.
Well, I simply got tired of scrolling down (more than 1/5-th of my window is wasted by that girandole).

And if anyone could tell me how to enforce my own “style” upon ROOT related pages, I would also be grateful if I was able to enforce the width of ROOT pages, so that I don’t need to scroll right, each time I want to read the whole line. Well I’ve already tried to talk about it but without much luck:
[url]Forum problems

Also, It would be nice if I was able to get rid of the left part of the display of the forum’s posts -> that one which shows the author of the post, a picture, the “Joined:…” field -> this also wastes about 1/4-th of the available space (in horizontal direction).

Maybe someone knows any way to force Firefox to use my versions of some “style” files each time it tries to get them from any ROOT web page?

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]Each time I click a forum’s thread (or any other ROOT page), the first thing I need to do is to “scroll down”.
Well, I simply got tired of scrolling down (more than 1/5-th of my window is wasted by that girandole).
[/quote]

Hmm, personally, I LOVE this “girandole” and do not see any problem - my screen is big enough and actually I do not spend all my life on a forum, so not too much scrolling :slight_smile:)

It’s not just about the Forum. It’s about (almost) every piece of ROOT’s documentation.

Well, on second thoughts, you are right. If I strongly reduce the number of times I try to help someone here, I will not have any problems either. =D>

Hi Pepe,

[quote]It’s not just about the Forum. It’s about (almost) every piece of ROOT’s documentation.[/quote]This is somewhat intentional to keep the look and feel as similar as possible. Seriously, what is the resolution/screen size/form factor that you are targeting and is give you trouble?

[quote]If I strongly reduce the number of times I try to help someone here, I will not have any problems either. [/quote]On side note, let me take this opportunity to thank you for answering so many posts and questions. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Philippe.

Hi,
in general, I believe, people who use devices with small screens (like netbooks or tablets) would really appreciate a “minimalist” style of pages.
Moreover, even if one uses a bigger screen, one would really like it, too (at least sometimes).
I personally often need to have several documentation windows opened simultaneously, reading them side by side, plus an editor window, plus an xterm or two, …

Well, even with the current style there’s a potential for improvement.

As far as I understand, the girandole cannot be pulled down.

However, there are two simple modifications which could help:

1. on the ROOT homepage(s), there’s a sidebar on the left (“What’s New”, “Recent Blog Posts”, “Follow Us On”) -> it can safely be moved to the right side,
  2. on the RootTalk pages, when one reads posts, the left part is occupied by the post author’s profile -> it can safely be moved to the right side.

If both modifications were done, people with narrow browser windows would immediately see the whole contents of pages without the need to “scroll-right” first, and the “embellishment” would no longer annoy.

Well, for me the problem has been solved now by the new [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/ninja/15006/1 scripts which make all ROOT related web pages nicely compact.

I believe this whole thread here can be closed and removed completely.

Best regards,
Pepe Le Pew.

Well, the new [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/ninja/15006/1 scripts (which make all ROOT related web pages compact) are quite nice, but there are two links missing now:

1. Blogs
  2. “Follow Us On” (though I don’t know if it exists as a link)
    Could you, please, add these two links to the “suckerfish menu” as new “expanded leaves” (e.g. add them under “Home” or “What’s New” or “About”).