Hadd problem

Dear all,

we’re merging multiple ROOT files using the hadd utility of ROOT5.30. The file contain histograms. In the merged file the last bin is missing. The number of entries in some of the previous bins is not correctly added.

Please, find two files in attachment. The second file “pipo2.root” is obtained by adding “pipo.root” to itself:

hadd pipo2.root pipo.root pipo.root

You’ll find the number of bins in the histograms is 15, one less than in the original.

Thanks for any advice as to how to solve this.

Marcel & Victoria
pipo2.root (4 KB)
pipo.root (3.98 KB)

Hi!

Please try with a newer ROOT version. Merging of alphanumeric bin labels caused problems in the past, see:

[url]TH...::Merge and alphanumeric bin labels

Best,

Sebastian

Dear Sebastian,

First of all, thanks for your answer!
I’ve tried with a newest root version, but the problem is similar as here (TH...::Merge and alphanumeric bin labels). Inside the new root file (newFile.root), the latest bin is filled with the last bin of the first file (file1.root):

hadd newFile.root file1.root file2.root file3.root

I’ve tried with root versions 5.30 - 5.32 - 5.34 - 5.40 and the error persists. I can’t understand how you solved the problem you had shown at link.

Any other advice?
Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Victoria

Hi!

You are right. The problem occurs for the bins with empty labels. Below is the output of: pipo.py (1.03 KB)

Hi,

Can you report this problem via the JIRA interface so we can track its progress/resolution?

Thanks,
Philippe.

Hi!

Done:

https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-5388

Best,

Sebastian