Failed to install root-6.02.05 on ubuntu14.04(LTS)

Hi,

Can you rm -rf interpreter/llvm/obj; make -j4 (or whatever number) and send the complete output of the build?

Cheers, Axel.

[quote=“Axel”]Hi,

Can you rm -rf interpreter/llvm/obj; make -j4 (or whatever number) and send the complete output of the build?

Cheers, Axel.[/quote]
I am sorry, the output of build is too long (about 6000 lines).
Can I send the output text file to you by email ?

this is my pre install packages for root on ubuntu, last tested with root-6.02.05 and linux mint 17 (ubuntu 14.04)

then simply:

[code]wget http://root.cern.ch/download/root_v6.02.05.source.tar.gz
gzip -dc root_v6.02.05.source.tar.gz | tar -xf -
cd root-6.02.05

./configure linuxx8664gcc --enable-explicitlink --all --enable-minuit2 --enable-qt --enable-roofit --enable-table --enable-shared --enable-xml --enable-reflex --enable-python --enable-gdml --enable-rpath --enable-qt --enable-soversion --prefix=/usr/local

make -j4
sudo make install
[/code]

Hi,

you can attach files - or indeed send by email to axel@cern.ch

We happily build ROOT on Ubuntu 14.04 after every check-in - we know it /should/ work.

Axel.

[quote=“hcohen”]this is my pre install packages for root on ubuntu, last tested with root-6.02.05 and linux mint 17 (ubuntu 14.04)

then simply:

cd root-6.02.05

./configure linuxx8664gcc --enable-explicitlink --all --enable-minuit2 --enable-qt --enable-roofit --enable-table --enable-shared --enable-xml --enable-reflex --enable-python --enable-gdml --enable-rpath --enable-qt --enable-soversion --prefix=/usr/local

make -j4
sudo make install
[/code][/quote]
Thanks, I’ll try it later!

[quote=“Axel”]Hi,

you can attach files - or indeed send by email to axel@cern.ch

We happily build ROOT on Ubuntu 14.04 after every check-in - we know it /should/ work.

Axel.[/quote]
Thanks, I have sent the make.out to you!

Hi,

Okay - so now it works? You sent me a different error than the one you mentioned first; the step that failed before now works.

Your new error points at a broken previous build (misconfigured?): the missing ROOT::Class_ShowMembers is in libCore which is linked (-lCore).

I’d recommend to run
make distclean
make -j4

Cheers, Axel.

[quote=“Axel”]Hi,

Okay - so now it works? You sent me a different error than the one you mentioned first; the step that failed before now works.

Your new error points at a broken previous build (misconfigured?): the missing ROOT::Class_ShowMembers is in libCore which is linked (-lCore).

I’d recommend to run
make distclean
make -j4

Cheers, Axel.[/quote]
At this time, I deleted the directories ,unpacked the source files in another directory and run
./configure
make -j4
, then different erros occured

11921 g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libGX11TTF.so -m32 -O2 -DNDEBUG -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--as-needed -o lib/libGX11TTF.so graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF .o graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu -lfreetype -lz -lpng12 -Llib -lGX11 -lGraf -lXpm -lXext -lX11 -lXft -Llib -lCo re -ldl 11922 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o: In function `TNamed::ShowMembers(TMemberInspector&) const': 11923 TGX11TTF.cxx:(.text._ZNK6TNamed11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector[_ZNK6TNamed11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector]+0x28): undefined reference to `ROOT::Class_ShowMembers(TClass*, void const*, TMemberInspector&)' 11924 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o: In function `TGX11TTF::ShowMembers(TMemberInspector&) const': 11925 TGX11TTF.cxx:(.text._ZNK8TGX11TTF11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector[_ZNK8TGX11TTF11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector]+0x28): undefined refere nce to `ROOT::Class_ShowMembers(TClass*, void const*, TMemberInspector&)' 11926 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x188): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::GetFontAscent(char cons t*) const' 11927 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x190): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::GetFontDescent(char con st*) const' 11928 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x4b0): undefined reference to `TAttLine::SetLineColorAlpha(short, float)' 11929 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x4f8): undefined reference to `TAttFill::SetFillColorAlpha(short, float)' 11930 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x54c): undefined reference to `TAttText::SetTextColorAlpha(short, float)' 11931 graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x598): undefined reference to `TAttMarker::SetMarkerColorAlpha(sh ort, float)' 11932 graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function `ROOT::GenerateInitInstanceLocal(TGX11TTF const*)': 11933 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x123): undefined reference to `ROOT::TGenericClassInfo::TGenericClassInfo(char const*, int, char const*, int, std:: type_info const&, ROOT::TInitBehavior const*, TClass* (*)(), TVirtualIsAProxy*, int, int)' 11934 graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function `TGX11TTF::Class()': 11935 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x326): undefined reference to `gInterpreterMutex' 11936 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x350): undefined reference to `gInterpreterMutex' 11937 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x384): undefined reference to `gInterpreterMutex' 11938 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x3aa): undefined reference to `gInterpreterMutex' 11939 graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function `(anonymous namespace)::TriggerDictionaryInitialization_libGX11TTF_Impl()': 11940 G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x5a0): undefined reference to `TROOT::RegisterModule(char const*, char const**, char const**, char const*, char con st*, void (*)(), std::vector<std::pair<std::string, int>, std::allocator<std::pair<std::string, int> > > const&, char const**)' 11941 collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status 11942 make: *** [lib/libGX11TTF.so] Error 1 11943 make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
The full output is attached.
make.tar.bz2 (101 KB)

Can it be that you have another ROOT version installed somewhere (and this “old” version is “seen” when you try to build the “new” one)?
Try something like:
which root
type root
which root-config
type root-config
locate libCore

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]Can it be that you have another ROOT version installed somewhere (and this “old” version is “seen” when you try to build the “new” one)?
Try something like:
which root
type root
which root-config
type root-config
locate libCore[/quote]
Thanks!
I’m sorry I haven’t mentioned that I have installed Version 5.34/14 16 December 2013 by typing “sudo apt-get install root-system-bin”.
Below are the results

1 /usr/bin/root 2 root is /usr/bin/root 3 /usr/bin/root-config 4 root-config is /usr/bin/root-config 5 /home/coordinator/.local/share/Trash/expunged/2162516355/root-6.02.05/lib/li bCore.so 6 /home/coordinator/.local/share/Trash/expunged/2162516355/root-6.02.05/lib/li bCore_rdict.pcm 7 /home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/lib/libCore.so 8 /home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/lib/libCore_rdict.pcm 9 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libCore.so 10 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libCore.so.5.34 11 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34/libCore.rootmap 12 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34/libCore.so 13 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34/libCore.so.5 14 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34/libCore.so.5.34 ~

sudo apt-get purge root-system* root-plugin* libroot*
(Note: afterwards check that the “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/root5.34” and the “/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34” subdirectories disappeared completely.)
Then try to build your “new” ROOT version completely from scratch again.
See also:
[Installation problems (Ubuntu 14.04)
[Old version vs. New Version Installation Processes

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]sudo apt-get purge root-system* root-plugin* libroot*
(Note: afterwards check that the “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/root5.34” and the “/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/root5.34” subdirectories disappeared completely.)
Then try to build your “new” ROOT version completely from scratch again.
See also:
[Installation problems (Ubuntu 14.04)
[Old version vs. New Version Installation Processes

[quote=“Axel”]Hi,

I’d recommend to run
make distclean
make -j4

Cheers, Axel.[/quote]

[quote=“hcohen”]this is my pre install packages for root on ubuntu, last tested with root-6.02.05 and linux mint 17 (ubuntu 14.04)

then simply:

cd root-6.02.05

make -j4
sudo make install
[/code][/quote]

Thanks for all of your helps, it’s really very kind of you!
The solution is to uninstall the previously installed ROOT by run
sudo apt-get purge root-system* root-plugin* libroot*

[url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/missing-canvas/17664/17 you use “–prefix=/usr/local”, you will have the same problem one day in the future again.[/url]

Yes, the problem occured as you expected. Then I use “–prefix=another\existed\directory”, it says “No such file or directory”. I don’t know why. At last, I use the “environment driven build” to install ROOT, which really works.
Anyway, thanks for your reminder!
But now I find that when I try to make the example in “geant4.10.01/examples/advanced/iort_therapy” ,
after typing cmake

G4 Examples: ROOT found. --> iort_therapy example with ROOT enabled.

,then make

[ 2%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/iort_therapy.dir/iort_therapy.cc.o In file included from /home/coordinator/soft/geant4.10.01/examples/advanced/iort_therapy/iort_therapy.cc:70:0: /home/coordinator/soft/geant4.10.01/examples/advanced/iort_therapy/include/IORTAnalysisManager.hh:48:19: fatal error: TROOT.h: No such file or directory #include "TROOT.h" ^ compilation terminated.
How can I let geant4 know where TROO.h is. Of cource, “root-6.02.05/include/TROOT.h” exists.

[root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.p … 448#p83314](Old version vs. New Version Installation Processes
[ROOT uninstalls on reboot

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]Old version vs. New Version Installation Processes
[ROOT uninstalls on reboot
Thanks a lot!
As is stated above, root-6.02.05 can work very well on my pc, but the problem is that Geant4 can’t find some header files such as TROOT.h in “root-6.02.05/include”. And before I make the example in “geant4.10.01/examples/advanced/iort_therapy” , I have ran
source full\path/root-6.02.05/bin/thisroot.sh in the same session and root can run properly.

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH /home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05/lib:/home/coordinator/soft/geant4.10.01-build/lib

Then how can I deal with this problem?

If you get proper output from:
root-config --incdir
root-config --cflags
then you need to talk to geant4 people why it fails.

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]If you get proper output from:
root-config --incdir
root-config --cflags
then you need to talk to geant4 people why it fails.[/quote]
Below are the results

1 /home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05/include 2 -pthread -std=c++11 -Wno-deprecated-declarations -m32 -msse -mfpmath=sse -I/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05/include ~

Then, what’s the problem?
Thanks for your patience!

For me this output is fine.
I assume you get “/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05” if you try:
root-config --prefix

Well, I think I know what the problem can be. It is possible that geant4 cannot stand ROOT configured with “–prefix” -> i.e. I guess you might need to use [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/missing-canvas/17664/17 old-fashioned ROOTSYS based installation method (or the official “Location independent installation” method)[/url].

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]For me this output is fine.
I assume you get “/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05” if you try:
root-config --prefix

Well, I think I know what the problem can be. It is possible that geant4 cannot stand ROOT configured with “–prefix” -> i.e. I guess you might need to use [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/missing-canvas/17664/17 old-fashioned ROOTSYS based installation method (or the official “Location independent installation” method)[/url].[/quote]
Yes , I get “/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05” after I try :
root-config --prefix

But I haven’t yet set “./configure --prefix” . Maybe --prefix has been set to the source folders by default. I think the method I used is “Location independent installation”. I haven’t ran “make install”, too.
Is below the old-fashioned ROOTSYS based installation method?
Should I uninstall root and then reinstall it though I haven’t done “make install”?

cd /Where/I/Unpacked/The/Source/Code/Of/root export ROOTSYS=/Where/I/Want/To/Install/root ./configure [<arch>] (g)make (g)make install
It really makes me confused that Geant4 can find root but can’t find header files of root.

If you set “ROOTSYS” for configure then you must execute “make install” -> in order to “fix” it now, execute (I assume that you built it in “/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05”):
cd /home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05
export ROOTSYS=/home/coordinator/soft/root-6.02.05/root-6.02.05
make install

Looking at your “ROOTSYS” string, it seems to me that you try to keep the source code, too. In this case it would be better to build ROOT “in-place” (so “unset ROOTSYS” before running configure):
[root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.p … 797#p78797](Trouble Installing
[root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.p … 839#p78839](Problem with png of divided canvas in 5-34/19 on Mac