Continuing to write to a large ROOT binary after it recovers from being closed improperly

I am writing a series of 255 files, each with a TTree containing at least 377625 entires in them. When creating each file’s TTree, I set TTree::SetAutoSave(377625 / 10). I write these files on a cluster where occasionally they the are closed improperly before they can finish writing. In these instances when I open one of these improperly closed files, recovery mode is enabled and the files are recovered up to the last cycle from which they were written. I would like resume writing to them through a macro, and was led to believe this could be done with something like

if (!fullSumFile.GetNkeys()) {  //  Check that at least keys are present in the tree.

fullSumTree = new TTree("treeName", "treeName");
		fullSumTree -> SetAutoSave(partEventsStep / 10);
		fullSumTree -> Branch("summary", & fullSum);

entryCount = 0;

} else {

fullSumFile.Write();  //  Necessary after recovery.

fullSumTree = (TTree *) fullSumFile.Get("fullSumTree");
		fullSumTree -> SetBranchAddress("summary", & fullSum);

entryCount = fullSumTree -> GetEntries();
	}

where before the else statement is in case the files close before a cycle can be written. The files written to are always opened in “update” mode and the use of TFile::Write() comes from https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/tfile-recovery-does-not-appear-to-be-working/16579. It may be necessary to then call after TFile::Close(), then TFile::Open() within the else statement, because after opening a file that has improperly closed more than once I get

Error in <TKey::ReadObjWithBuffer>: Unknown class 

and the files close with nothing being apparently recovered. How do I modify the above if/else statement to handle the recovery properly and continue writing to the files?

If it is a case of that the recovered files have to be closed and then reopened, I am having difficulty reopening the file within the above else statement:

} else {

fullSumFile.Write();
    fullSumFile.Close();
    fullSumFile.Open("fileName.root", "update");
}

Once fullSumFile.Close() is called, using fullSumFile.Open("fileName.root") doesn’t appear to behave as expected, reopening the file to be updated? From ROOT terminal, I would expect that between the lines

TFile fileName("fileName.root");
fileName.Close();
fileName.Open("fileName.root");
fileName.Close();

I would expect the file to become inaccessible after the second instance of fileName.Close() is called, like after the first instance.

Again referring to this previous topic, I’m now trying something like this:

TFile recoverFullSumFile(fullSumPath, "update");
recoverFullSumFile.Write();
recoverFullSumFile.Close();

TFile fullSumFile(fullSumPath, "update");

TTree * fullSumTree = 0;
summaryClass * fullSum = 0;
unsigned int entryCount;

if (!fullSumFile.GetNkeys()) {

fullSumTree = new TTree("treeName", "treeName");
    fullSumTree -> SetAutoSave(377625 / 10);
    fullSumTree -> Branch("summary", & fullSum);

entryCount = 0;

} else {

fullSumTree = (TTree *) fullSumFile.Get("treeName");
    fullSumTree -> SetBranchAddress("summary", & fullSum);

entryCount = fullSumTree -> GetEntries();
}

I think this should work. But if not, why? Calling the same file twice like this, should I replace recoverFullSumFile.Close() with recoverFullSumFile.Close("R")?

I think this is something for @pcanal, our I/O expert

fullSumFile.Open("fileName.root", "update");

TFile::Open is a static function that return the address of a newly allocated TFile object. You probably meant to use

fullSumFile.ReOpen("fileName.root", "update");

Hello Phillipe,

So just to clarify, rather than using

TFile recoverFullSumFile(fullSumPath, "update");
recoverFullSumFile.Write();
recoverFullSumFile.Close();

before the if-else statement in my first post, are you saying that it is sufficient to do something like

fullSumFile.Write();
fullSumFile.Close();
fullSumFile.ReOpeN(fullSumPath,"update");

or like

fullSumFile.Write();
fullSumFile.ReOpen(fullSumPath, "update");

?

I had tried using TFile::ReOpen() before, but I just tried something like

TFile fullSumFile(fullSumPath);
fullSumFile.ReOpen(fullSumPath, "update");

after the file had improperly closed beforehand.

fullSumFile.Write();
fullSumFile.Close();
fullSumFile.ReOpen(fullSumPath,"update");

is indeed what I meant

Cheers,
Philippe.

Thanks, Philippe.

So just to test, with a ROOT binary file that I will call “testFile.root” here, I entered the lines following lines in the ROOT console

TFile testFile("testFile.root","update");
testFile.Write();
testFile.Close();
testFile.ReOpen("testFile.root","update");

and I think I should mention what I found.

1. After entering the line TFile testFile("testFile.root","update");, I am able to list file contents by entering .ls into the console, including KEYs, up until I call testFile.Close();. After this line, I get no resulting output in the terminal when I enter .ls.

2. I guess the last line should be replaced with testFile.ReOpen("update");?

3. After entering in the last line, all that is listed from the the file are its TFile** and TFile*, but none of its KEY entries. Without these KEY entries, I am unable to get pointers like I could before entering testFile.Close().

This suggests to me that perhaps TFile::ReOpen() isn’t behaving as intended (ROOT version 6.14/02), or perhaps what I want is

fullSumFile.Write();
fullSumFile.ReOpen("update");

However, if I’m remembering correctly from when I did something before like these three lines, I think I still got a warning in the ROOT console that the file has to recover, as if TFile::Close() wasn’t implicitly called with TFile::ReOpen(). Is this the expected behavior?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.