Confidence Levels in Root

Hello Everyone!
I am trying to plot 2-D histogram for contour making at 1,2 and 3 sigma confidence level.
I am reading data from a .dat file with three columns and i want plot it as a contour at above mentioned confidence levels . Please suggest me how to set 1,2 and 3 sigma confidence levels in my code…
‘’’
#include
#include<math.h>
#include <TVirtualFitter.h>
#include <TF2.h>

void rootContourPlot()

{

ifstream f1;
TCanvas *c1 = new TCanvas(“c1”,“c1”,600,400);
TH2F *hcont2 = new TH2F(“hcont2”," ",40,-4,-2,40,0,200);

Double_t x[10001]={0.}, y[10001]={0.},z[10001]={0.}, i,j,k;
int ss=0;

f1.open(“test1.dat”);
while(!f1.eof())
{
f1>>i>>j>>k;

hcont2->Fill(i,j,k);
   (TVirtualFitter::GetFitter())->GetConfidenceIntervals(hcont2, 0.95);

}

hcont2->Draw("CONT2 ");
c1->Update();
f1.close();

}
‘’’

1 Like

Hi,

The method TVirtualFitter::GetFitter())->GetConfidenceIntervals(hcont2, 0.95) computes the confidence level of your model (fitting) function after having it fitted to an histogram.
I don’t see in your code where you have performed the fit.
If you have an histogram and you want to plot the contour lines, you just need to do hcont2->Draw(“CONT2”)

Lorenzo

Hello Thank you for your reply… I have a file with three columns and want to see how z varies with x and y at 1, 2 and 3 sigma levels, i am not getting what function should i use to plot this… A 3D graph or 2DProfile histogram, I want to see only x and y axes… I have made it using Gnuplot but not able to make it from ROOT
.example1.pdf (9.3 KB)

${ROOTSYS}/tutorials/hist/ContourList.C

Hi,

Then what you need to use is hcont2->Draw(“CONT1”). You can set the contour and their level with hcont2->SetContours(n, levels), where n is the number of contours you want and levels are the z values for which you want to draw the contour.

Lorenzo

1 Like

I understood the meaning of your first two lines now… yes I havnt implemented any fitting function…
I performed simply - hcont2->Draw(“CONT2”) but this is not my desired result… i have attached :
rootcontour.pdf (36.1 KB)

As I said you need to set the number of contours if you don’t like the default.
You should look at the documentation of the Contour option of TH2
https://root.cern/doc/v610/classTHistPainter.html#HP16

Lorenzo

Thanks a lot… it worked with a little a more help from another example :slight_smile:

I was using help from this very link only since 2 days but i wasnt able to set the contour levels…that I wanted

How can I make my best fit point in this ? I am attaching the plot example1root.pdf (15.1 KB)

I am not sure I have understood exactly what you want. Add a point in the plot ?
Maybe @couet can help you with this

Lorenzo

(new TMarker(-3., 90., 30))->Draw();

1 Like

Hii… Thanks a lot , it made the best fit point but please tell me how did you write the entries in your statement given above…

Hi,

Do you know how to make best fit point in gnuplot ??

What do you mean by “write the entry” ? the code Wile proposed will draw a marker at the position (-3, 90)

yes I realized it later… Thank you

Hi,

I want to know how does root calculates confidence levels at 1,2 and 3 sigma values…
For one data file I am getting a plot using the code below but for another data file I am not getting a proper contour plot while both these files are giving contour plots with gnuplot… I am not able to get this…
I am using the code below…

Also I have one more doubt about contour plots… What i know is- If we have three columns x,y,z then we fix a particular value of z=confidence level and plot corresponding x and y… am I correct ?
Please help me out
Thank you…

#include<iostream>
#include<math.h>
#include <TVirtualFitter.h>
#include <TF2.h>

void rootContourPlot()

{

ifstream f1;
   TCanvas *c1 = new TCanvas("c1","c1",600,400);
   TH2F *hcont2 = new TH2F("hcont2"," ",40,0,360,40,0,0.9);

Double_t x[10001]={0.}, y[10001]={0.},z[10001]={0.},i,j,k;
   int ss=0;

double contours[3];
   contours[0] = 2.3;
   contours[1] = 6.2;
   contours[2] = 11.8;

f1.open("test12.dat");
   while(!f1.eof())
      {
      f1>>i>>j>>k;

hcont2->Fill(i,j,k);

}
   hcont2->SetContour(3,contours);
   hcont2->Draw("CONT1");
//   (new TMarker(-3., 90., 30))->Draw();    // Makes the best fit point
   c1->Update();
   f1.close();

}

Can you provide the data files ?

datafiles.tar.gz (23.1 KB)

Hi,
Please find the tar file which contains the datafiles.
Thank you.

In case of test1.dat you are filling the histogram outside its limits. SO all the Fill() you do generate underflow or overflow and the histogram is empty.