Cannot install ROOT. Make problem?

Hello All,

I just cloned the most recent version of ROOT (using git) and followed the steps.

1. ./configure

2. make

and step 2 fails with this error message:

My make version is:

[code]GNU Make 3.81
Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu[/code]

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

VM

Hi Victor,

this is really not expected.
Did you use the HEAD? If yes, which commit? Could you repeat the experiment with tag v6-00-01?

Cheers,
Danilo

Can it be that the full path to where you build ROOT contains a “:” character? If yes, rename it.

I’ve just run into this problem trying to compile ROOT v6.06.06 on CentOS7 with gcc version 4.8. The source code is in /root/root/root-v6.06.06 and I’ve attempted to use autoconfigure.

./configure --prefix=/opt/root/root_v6.06.06

The configure step completes with no errors. Upon compilation with make the first and only message is

/root/root/root-6.06.06/interpreter/llvm/Module.mk:86: *** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.

I’ve attached the output of the configure script.

Any suggestions to get this working?
configure.txt (5.85 KB)

Hi,

do you have the same issue with CMake?

Cheers,
Danilo

Cmake is the preferred build method, specially with the head version. These are instructions:
root.cern.ch/building-root

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve given it a shot below. In general I do not agree with the message conveyed by these type of statements that “CMake is preferred”. What is the purpose of dragging autoconf, or any portion of a code that is “not preffered”, around if it broken? I believe it should either be repaired or removed. By using cmake it does not resolve the original problem reported with autoconf, but bypasses it. I’ll continue explaining what occurred with cmake, but the autoconf issue has not changed.

I have attempted to use CMake and the process starts and cmake finishes with no errors.
After running make I encounter a compile error:

[ 47%] Generating G__IO.cxx, ../../lib/libRIO.rootmap
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: 'new' file not found
#include <new>
         ^

I’ve already checked that I have all the required dependencies listed on https://root.cern.ch/build-prerequisites. (Shouldn’t cmake have caught it if I had missed one?)

This new problem is a similar issue to that posted in [url]Fatal error modified `<new>`

The code associated to classic configure/make will disappear at some point, so this why is preferred for you to make the switch as soon as possible.
It looks like a problem mixing C++ libraries associated to different compiler versions. Are you using the gcc compiler comes from the RedHat “Developer Toolset” / “Software Collections” (e.g. on Scientific Linux 5 and 6 platforms)? If this is the case, then ROOT 6 is not able to run in there.

As I had stated I am using CentOS 7. I’m using gcc 4.8.5 from the base repo for that OS. How do I know if I have gcc from the Developer Toolset or Software Collections? This is a newly installed machine so there shouldn’t be any strange configurations.

We can discontinue the discussion about this in this thread as it was supposed to be about autoconf. The discussion related to the cmake problem was posted in [url]Fatal error modified `<new>` and has some active discussion there.