6.14/00 binaries for Ubuntu: C++14/17?

Hello Axel,

Just out of curiosity will we get a precompiled ubuntu version which support c++14/17?
Also have you consider using vcpkg for streamlining the compilation process?

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard,

As that has nothing to do with the Windows install issue I’d have appreciated you opening a new topic for this. I’ll move it into a new one…

And the answer: we provide very conservative binaries, to not create problems with the distro’s C++ libraries and the way they are compiled. If you want to use C++14 or 17: it’s not that difficult to build ROOT yourself, see e.g. https://root.cern.ch/building-root

Cheers, Axel.

See also some discussion which starts here:

Hi Axel,

I believe you that the compilation is easy (haven’t tried yet) but still it is an extra step and it means by default I am not able to share any code with my colleges. I understand your concern but for my point of view we have a high risk of trapping our self in a certain time. The time moves on and c++ is not anymore, this ancient language which never changes. It is a moving target and from what I understand it will from now on always be an ever-improving language. I am not asking to make it the default but rather have both version in parallel (at least for a time). If you could provide a version which uses the latest bits that would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Richard

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.